Vancomycin Side Effects

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Sat May 10, 2003 8:13 pm

Has anyone developed "hives" during a vanco taper?? How about bruising?? I am in the middle of my taper and started developing large, itchy welts all over my mid-section, arms, and thighs....have also noticed numerous bruises on my upper on lower extremities. Anyone had similar side effects??

Postby Guest » Sat May 10, 2003 9:37 pm

Uh oh....this is a "call the doctor" one. Hives are not good. I've not heard of this happening to anyone here, but you can develop allergies to stuff at any time for no apparent reason. <BR> <BR>Have you started taking anything but the vanco? How about eating something that you don't ordinarily (e.g. shellfish)? I sure hope it isn't the vanco. But do call the doctor.

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2003 10:27 pm

Thankyou, Lauren. I did call my doc and he said that it's rare but cases have been reported. He suggested taking an antihistamine to see if it helps enough to allow me to finish the taper. (2 more weeks) Allegra has seemed to help some. <BR>I'm still a little baffled about the bruises. The DR didn't seem to think it was related. Seems awfully coincidental as I never really bruised easily before>?

Postby Guest » Mon May 12, 2003 11:22 am

Hi CC - <BR> <BR>I looked up the side effects of vanco. There have been reports of "thrombocytopenia" - a few cases but not many. (Thrombocytopenia means a lessser amount of thrombocytes, aka platelets. Thrombocytes are the cells that start the clotting system. Decreased thrombocytes can mean decreased clotting and can result in easy bruising, bleeding when you brush your teeth and increased menstrual bleeding.) <BR> <BR>I would suggest you phone your doctor back and ask for a platelet and clotting study workup. It may be the vanco, it may be something else. <BR> <BR>Best Wishes

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:53 pm

I have developed bruising.I also have this rash from my neck down my arms my stomach my thighs and the back of my legs and my back. I'm red with bumps and itchy and it looks like I have a sunburn. I have had C-Diff 7 times I'm at the end of my rope... My Doctor put me on vanco for the seventh time but this time she tapered it. I just finished a 6 week course and this all happened I thought it was the sun or the lotion I used. The bruising I wasn't sure what that was. I just found this site last night and have so many questions I can't believe how many people have C-Diff.My stomach is so sick it feels like I should cut it open and scoop out whatever is in their. I'm full of gas and pain is that from the vanco seeing I just finished a 6 week course? My hair is falling out like crazy when I wash it when I comb it and it's in terrible condition. Is anyone else having this problem? How do you get rid of it and how do you deal with it. I treat at Mass General Hospital in Massachusetts. Are their Doctors that specialize in C-Diff? Help..... Heather

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:05 am

Heather, <BR>You poor thing! You have really been having a tough time. <BR> <BR>What does your doctor say about your symptoms? Does she think it's from the Vanco.? Be sure and contact her whenever you feel it is necessary. Be polite but firm. "Squeaky wheels get the grease." If you are not happy, change doctors. <BR> <BR>Vanco. usually doesn't cause so many side effects. However, there are exceptions. Read the two previous posts in this section from ZuZu and CC about similar side effects. Usually, the other treatment (Flagyl) causes more side effects. Have you ever been on it? Have you tried probiotics? <BR> <BR>Read Dr. Borody's article about C. diff. and also the topics in the FAQ section. Also, read the "Doctors" section for a list of doctors that people who post on this site have used with good results. <BR> <BR>There are two alternative treatments: Dr. Borody's "transplant" treatment and Dr. Allen's "broth" treatment. So do keep in mind that you have other options. I can understand why you are at the end of your rope. But hang on. You will recover. However, it sometimes takes a lot of patience and perserverance. <BR> <BR>Keep us posted. We know what you are going through.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:27 am

The Doctor is on vacation. I did see a allergy doctor today he is testing me for Lupus, and is not ruling out the vanco for the rash. I would love to change Doctors but at this stage of the game approaching one year I don't really want to start the process over again. You see I have an underlining problem that they haven't figured out yet. I'm seem to have a problem processing fat and may have a malabsorption problem. I guess the C-Diff interferes with the tests. I know I keep going on and on but I just can't believe so many people have this and I'm not alone and finally someone understands what I'm talking about and going through. So hopefully you don't mind me going on. I became ill in early August I dropped one size in 7 days from diarrhea within 3 weeks 20 Lb.s. The only thing they found was that I had secretory diarrhea and GI was also looking at malabsorption problems. I came down with the C-Diff after taking Biaxin in November. They started me on Flagyl but it didn't work at all so the Doctor changed it to the vanco. I've been hospitalized twice 10 days each time. I've gone from 140 down to 100Lb.s but after being on the vanco for 6 weeks I'm now up to 114Lb.s. But usually 1 to 2 weeks after the vanco C-Diff comes back and the story goes on and on. Oh yes how could I forget they also have me going through the change with medication hormones. Because I have endo and they think it may have traveled into my bowels and or my intestines. They can't operate on me my body can't handle it at this time they said. <BR>I'm 39 and I've been out of work all this time I'm a work alcoholic this has devastated me. Thanks for responding to me it really felt great to get advice from someone who is living it as well. Thanks again very much appreciated

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:24 am

Heather, <BR> Have you checked the Doctors section of this site? There are some docs that people who post here have had great success with in Boston. If you find a doc who is familiar with c- diff and understands it , you wouldn't have to start over at all. It makes a HUGE difference to have a sympathatic doctor. I had to change because mine was starting to treat me like I was bothering him with research and articles and alternative treatments. He had an attitude of take your prescription and leave me alone. So I was lucky enough to find one who really cared and was interested enough to keep up on new research. I am still recovering, but I am now 4 wks off vanco and am cautiously optimistic that I have beat it. I feel very good and am able to eat again. <BR> This site is a lifesaver!! Read all of the info and don't be affraid to ask questions. Everyone here has been there, and will help you through it. Good Luck!!

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:45 pm

Heather, <BR>I can see why you are frustrated. I don't know what else to tell you except "hang in there." <BR> <BR>I've had lots of different health problems since developing C. diff. in l993. Several doctors thought I had lupus, too, when I first got C. diff. Then it there were other tests for my immune system. On and on and on. Basically, "we just don't know" was the diagnosis along with C. diff. Dr. Allen in KC finally "cured" me with his "broth" treatment (after four years of C. diff.). <BR> <BR>I agree with Dorothy about changing doctors although it is a pain. Check out Dr. Kelly and Dr. Lamont in Boston. ("Doctors" section.) Several people on this board have had wonderful things to say about both of them. I believe they are in the same practice. Dr. Kelly is working on a vaccine for C. diff. Although, I don't think he is now looking for volunteers, I think he does still see C. diff. patients. <BR> <BR>One hint: If you do change doctors, put all your information on computer (personal history, health history, medications, contact information, insurance information, etc.). It makes it much easier than filling out a million new forms. If the new form is more than one page long, I just fill out my name, write "see attached info." and then attach my own forms. If they ask for info. that I don't have, I fill in those questions. I also make out a list of questions on the computer, make two copies, and give one to the doctor. I try to keep the list short, tell him/her I know "how busy" he/she is, and tell them they can contact me later if he/she doesn't have the time now. This has seemed to work well most of the time. <BR> <BR>I, too, lost a lot of weight when I had C. diff. Have you tried one of the liquid supplements such as Boast or Ensure Plus? <BR> <BR>Keep posting. We know what you are going through. You will recover, but C. diff. is a "yucky," not well-known, and frustrating disease.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:56 am

Thanks Bobbie, Thanks Dorothy, <BR>I'm going to take you up on your advice and look into a new doctor. I have tried the Boast but not the Ensure. The boast did not agree with me lots of sugar in it for some reason sugar really bothers me it goes right through me. But I should try the ensure. Oh yes and I have been taking culturelle also. I'm going into to Boston this week for a stool culture I hope it's negative. Thanks for all the advice and support. I can't tell you how great it feels to correspond with people that know what I'm talking about.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:21 pm

Heather, <BR>I couldn't stand the Boast either -- too sweet, and sugar does seem to bother people with C. diff. Also dairy products. Do try the Ensure. The "Plus" Variety has more fat and thus about 100 more calories per can. The only one I could stand was Vanilla -- very cold. Read more about more food tips in the FAQ section. <BR> <BR>Congrats. on changing doctors. It's hard, but sometimes it's best to get a different perspective.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:44 pm

Bobbie and Dorothy, <BR>I heard from my doctor today I waited two weeks before I went for my stool culture. I really didn't need to go because I new the C-Diff was back but you know how that goes. So I am positive for the eighth time. My Doctor said she needs to consult some of the Infectious Disease Doctors at Mass General and she would get back to me this week. She talked about me going back on the flagyl instead of vanco I told her it didn't help me at all. I called Dr. Lamont's office I have an appointment August 5. I hope he can help me. I thought I would give you both an update.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:12 pm

Heather, <BR> I am so sorry to hear that it is back. You are right though, we don't really don't need a test to know, once you've had it you just know. The feeling is so awful, you don't mistake it. I'm glad you are going to see Dr. Lamont as he is supposed to be one of the few who understand C-Diff. I hope he can help you. Hang in there!

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:11 pm

Have had multiple relapses of C-Diff for 4 years. Took Vancocin for long periods of time. (Vanco is the only drug I can tolerate.) Most recenlty, took 2 capsules of Culturelle a day for the last 6 months and no Vanco. Four weeks ago had my first attack of ischemic colitis per biopsy report. Stool test for C-diff was negative. Took numerous blood tests (including Lupus) and abdominal MR angiography. All blood work is negative and MRA showed no abnormalities or blockages. Getting conflicting opinions from Doctors as to what caused the attack. Article on this site by Mayo states other contributing factors for C-diff include bowel ischemia. Has anyone been diagnosed with C-diff and ischemia? Trying to determine what is now affecting my bowel. Maybe it was the long use of Vanco or Culturelle. Anyone have insight?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:08 pm

Theresa- <BR>I have not heard nor read of culturelle or vanco causing the colitis. I sure hope not as I have taken both continuously up until recently for over two years. Please keep us updated on anything you find out!

Return to “Treatments”