Kefir question

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Gaconch
New User

Kefir question

Postby Gaconch » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

I’ve been drinking Lifeway plain kefir. Does anyone use the flavored ones? I saw some had 20 gms of sugar. As I understand sugar feeds bad bacteria, not sure if it also feeds good bacteria too. What do you drink?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Kefir question

Postby Lid49 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Gout kefir plain, is very good and good alternative for lactose intolerant, almond kefir .
Lidia

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi, I am a kefir drinker. The fact is you are better off without the sugar. There is no getting around that! Bad bacteria love sugar, so does candida which you are more vulnerable to when your gut flora is messed up. ....But you are better off drinking the flavored vs. none. So I guess it comes down to can you tolerate it. I have gotten used to the taste over time.

franny
Brand New Poster

Postby franny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Hey Gaconch,

I've successfully recovered from c diff and I truly believe it's because of two things: vancomycin (2 courses) and my beloved Lifeway Kefir. During my recovery process, I drank the flavored Lifeway as well as the plain one (strawberries & cream was my favorite) and didn't notice that the sugar content affected my recovery process, or made me relapse at all. The flavored ones taste sooo much better. But if you are still wary, I would just alternate between drinking the plain and flavored ones.

franneh
Brand New Poster

Postby franneh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 am

I like to mix half Plain kefir with half flavored Kefir. Tastes delicious and I’m not as guilty about the sugar content as it cuts about half down.

Jd1958
Brand New Poster

Postby Jd1958 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 pm

I am now on round 2 of vancomycin and also take 1 Florastor daily. I’m not sure if my antibiotic- treated travelers diarrhea triggered my C Diff (Cipro) or I picked it up in Mexico. I’m hoping round 2 will kick this but am beginning to feel hopeless.

I purchased Strawberry kefir today. How much should I drink daily? Thanks!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 am

Start with a small amount and see how you react. Some people get worse Gi symptoms.

Return to “Treatments”