Preop med Vancomycin

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Gaconch
New User

Preop med Vancomycin

Postby Gaconch » Sat May 19, 2018 10:07 pm

I asked my Ortho MD what he gave me for preop that I suspect is the cause of my CDI. He stated Vancomycin 1500 mg IV (1.5 Grams). That’s a huge amount of antibiotics at one time! Can this cause CDiff? It’s the only antibiotics I took before the infection.

roy
Administrator

Re: Preop med Vancomycin

Postby roy » Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 am

We always have to say that anything is possible but IV VANCOMYCIN IS not implicated in causing c.diff.
It is filtered by the kidneys and expelled in urine.
It does not reach the colon.
It's narrow spectrum and unusual to use it pre opp to prevent infection.

Since the knee opp you say you had IV Rochephin as treatment for colitis.
That can cause c.diff and is a high offender.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 am

Thank you so much Roy for your knowledge. The Hospitalist tried to send me home with oral Cipro and Flagyl. I told him absolutely no to the Cipro but I would take the Flagyl. Well, I’ve never had to take Flagyl and it should be listed as a devil drug. It made me sicker with severe vomiting and absolutely no appetite. I could only stand it for 4 days and ended up back in the ER with dehydration. The ER took me off and of course I was no better and I’m afraid the CDI infection grew stronger due to the short course and it only being Flagyl not Vanco. Thank you for answering my questions.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 am

Spoke to my Ortho and he said the reason he uses IV Vanco is it protects against MRSA.

Return to “Treatments”