Did your insurance pay for Dificid?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Gaconch
New User

Did your insurance pay for Dificid?

Postby Gaconch » Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 am

How did you convince your insurance to pay for a medication that cost so much? I’m on 2nd round of Vanco and if this doesn’t work I’m going to insist on Dificid. My Publix Pharmacist has never even heard of the med so I’m not sure if any doctors here in town even prescribe it. So I’m up for a fight for my health.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Did your insurance pay for Dificid?

Postby AllisS » Fri May 18, 2018 9:02 am

If the vanco doesn't work, ask your doctor to write a "letter of medical necessity" to submit to your insurance company. The letter should include the information that treatment with vanco (and, if you took it prior to vanco, Flagyl) has failed.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 pm

My insurance covered it. You can call your insurance company and ask if it is covered.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Everyone’s insurance is so different. You need to check on all this with a live rep on the phone concerning your prescription drug benefits.
I never ended up and took Dificid. I had an FMT.
But my coverage has a lower rate if I were to get it by mail order instead of at a pharmacy.
Also, I called many pharmacies before and none had Dificid in stock except one.
It is a Walgreens located right beside a hospital. The pharmacist said they keep it in stock due to so many people leaving the hospital and being prescribed it.

Return to “Treatments”