L. Glutamine?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Just curious as to if anyone has used L. Glutamine to restore the intestines. From what I have read, this stuff really works. It restores damaged intestines, and stops diahrrhea. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'bob']

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 8:56 pm

I've read similar pieces Bob and wondered if it did work. Have you tried it? In all the research I've done, I've come across L-Glutamine a few times saying what you've said. It may be worth a try. Is there a special brand or type of L-Glutamine one should use? Let us know! I'll check on <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.swansonvitamins.com" target="_blank">www.swansonvitamins.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> They seem to be the cheapest ones and they carry several different brands. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Kelleigh']

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 9:50 pm

Here's an article on Glutamine and what it's uses are...sounds interesting. With gastritis, I may try it to help heal the stomach. <BR> <BR> <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.cleanse.net/newsite/articles/l-glutamine.html" target="_blank">http://www.cleanse.net/newsite/articles/l-glutamine.html</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Kelleigh']

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 10:04 pm

And here's what another site says about L-Glutamine: <BR>Scientists also believe that deficiency in L-glutamine may be linked to gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and colon inflammation. Supplementation may improve symptoms of these disorders while supporting overall health of the intestines.(4, 5) <BR> <BR>L-glutamine may also boost the immune system, some studies suggest. Scientists think that taking L-glutamine orally may enhance the activity of infection-fighting white blood cells and other agents. It may also decrease the permeability of the intestines, thus making it harder for invaders to attack the body.(6) <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Kelleigh']

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 10:15 pm

I was on Glutamine (a registered dietician recommended it), but I believe there is a warning to not take it for an extended period. Check it out on one of the health sites. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Bobbie']

Postby Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 10:05 pm

well, I am taking 5 grams a day, and from what i've read, up to 10 grams can be taken per day. I have also read about not using it long term, but nothing specific as to why not to use it long term. For colon and intestinal benefit, it should be taken in the capusule form. For stomach and esophagas benefit, powder should be used. Apparently this stuff actually rebuilds the colon wall and heals it. It even will heal a gastric ulcer. Thinking as that in mosy likely cases, an intestinal or colonic irritation or lack of villi, and good membranes are the most probable cause of diarrhea, so, then to have a pill that actually rebuilds and heals may be the ticket. Any additional information is welcome. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'bob']

poltroon
Regular User

Postby poltroon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:49 pm

I used glutamine as part of a regimen suggested by a dietitcian, and I healed up after 3 courses of vanco and 1 1/2 courses of flagyl failed. We also supplemented with several powdered vitamins, aloe, and sublingual B-12.

Christy
New User

To poltroon

Postby Christy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:09 pm

Just wanted to ask poltroon: I am kind of hopefull after reading about your success with L.Glutamine....can you tell me any more about what doses your dietician recommended, and what other things you took along with it? I find if interesting that this healed you after both vanco and flagyll failed. I'd love to hear more about this...thanks!

jskvt
Regular User

Postby jskvt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:29 pm

A reputable naturopath I consulted with had me on a regimen of L Glutamine of 2,000mg-3,000mg twice daily. The brand I bought was TwinLabs.

It does not cure C Diff, nor did the naturopath ever insinuate that it would -- she told me it simply helps rebuild your intestinal lining when it's damaged.

She also told me that extended use of it, beyond a month, is not recommended currently. The dose above was her personal recommendation based on my situation, and I imagine this would vary between patients.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:26 pm

I used L Glutamine for about a month during active C. diff. Don't think it helped or hurt, but everyone is different.

I didn't know about not taking it for more than month (even though a reputable dietician recommended it) but did some research and found it was for a month's use only. Once again, C. diff. is trial and error.

leon
New User

Postby leon » Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am

Can anyone tell us WHY it is not recco. to take L-glutamine longer than 30 days. I'd really like to know the answer to this. I've search the web and Kaiser Permanente's National Medicines Consumer Database and all it says is don't use it if you are allergic to MSG. Everywhere else on the Web that I can find states "no known side effects"

jskvt...can you check with your naturopath???

Thanks

Return to “Treatments”