Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken)

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
roy
Administrator

Re: Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken)

Postby roy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Just an observation.
If your stool is not normal then saying you can eat whatever you want is probably not correct.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Are you on Dificid now?

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:49 am

My ID doc prescribed a similar taper, I think she mentioned that name Bakken.

I had I think 4 weeks of 125mg 4x/day first, then 500mg all at once q72hrs for 2 weeks, then 375, 250, 125... 12 weeks total.

Knock on wood, it's now been about 5 months since taper ended. And 8 months since I've had active symptoms.

Vern
Brand New Poster

Postby Vern » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 am

I have been on Vanco since January, after suffering a stroke ! I just finished another round of the drug, this time tapering down from 250mg. 3 times to 125 3 times per day. Just like clockwork,,, 4 days after I finish my Vanco,, my c-diff returns with a vengeance ! I also had 1 fecal transplant this past May,,, nothing is working !! I also have kidney issues, which means I cannot do any I-v's,, so,, does this mean that I will have to be on Vanco for the rest of my days??? I am 80 years old, not to mention the expense of it all,,, constant c-diff is wearing , tiring, and just plain nasty ! I also had a colonoscopy this past June while they were looking to eliminate any possibilities! What to do? What to do?

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:58 am

Vern, I'm so sorry you're going through this! Have you talked to your doctor about a Dificid course with taper?

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 pm

beth22: I am currently waiting for my dificid prescription. I stopped my vancomycin pulse and I lasted six days before nasty C-diff symptoms nailed me! Big disappointment!

<======================>

maxny1: Five months since taper! Sounds like you are home free. Wish I could say the same, but I am happy for you! Nice going! You must be ecstatic!

<======================>

Vern, sorry to hear about your nasty, frustrating struggle with this terrible infection. I've been struggling with it since April. I'll be trying Dificid 200mg, twice a day, for ten days. It has a much better record than vancomycin against C-diff, but it isn't always successful.

I am hoping for the best for both of us!

Take care... Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Bob - Hopefully, the Dificid will work for you. It has for many. I may be taking it myself. You might want to ask your doctor about a taper. See how you do on the medication. If it seems to be helping you, perhaps your doctor could prescribe another course of it to be done as a taper.

Vern - Some people, myself included, have had to do more than one FMT. I assume you had yours done via colonoscopy.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:18 am

MAchaon after being treated with several courses of Flagyl and Vanco , there is a possibility that the classical 10 day course of Dificid to fail . Might worth discussing with your doctor about a longer course , maybe a taper and pulse. Longer courses of Dificid were magic bullets for many people when all other treatments were failing.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:48 am

I agree with Georgina -- for both Vern and Machaon who have already relapsed multiple times, a 10 day course of Dificid might not give your good flora enough time to bounce back, or the Dificid adequate time to eradicate enough of the spores to prevent further relapses. Consider discussing the possibility of a longer course or a taper with your doctors. My daughter was cured (no c diff for 10 months now) after relapsing twice with Flagyl and twice with Vanco, by taking Dificid 14 days twice a day, 14 days once a day, and 7 pills every other day.

Wishing the best and a speedy return to health for both of you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:24 am

Locking this thread. Be free to start a new one :Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs PART 2

sbmike
New User

Postby sbmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm

First post here. I am also on the tapering 125mg vanco routine for six weeks. I am in the 2x per day stage. I have been pretty sympotomatic for the ten plus days I have been on this second round of vanco, so I am not wildly optimistic that vanco is going to get me over this. I get first colonoscopy sometime in February and I think the plan is FMT at that time, but I am not sure about that. I am in Kaiser with a thoughtful PA as my primary doc and he thinks that is what is happening.

My appetite is not great. I am trying granola and yogurt in the evening to see if I can get better sleep. I am also trying a tablespoon or two of live sourdough starter (Oregon Trail strain for sourdough enthusiasts) as my first bites in the morning. Tried saccromyces with first round of vanco. Don't know if it helped, but I am still positive for C. diff, so trying to overwhelm it this time with lactobacillus in conjunction with the tapering vanco treatment. Lots of fun.

Return to “Treatments”