Vanco Liquid vs Pills

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:36 pm

I started taking the liquid vanco (made from IV vanco) and have been nauseous since I started it. Has anyone had this problem? I previously took the 125 vanco pills, with no problem but now after my 4th relapse I was put on 250 4X day. Since we can't get the pills, we are making the IV form into oral solution. I am also very very tired. Can't figure if it's the different dose or the liquid. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Andrea']

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:36 pm

Hmmm...some here have reported nausea with vanco. It always took me a few days to get used to the higher dose, but I never had nausea myself. Perhaps a call to your pharmacist might offer a clue? I think they can suspend the stuff in different solutions - maybe you need an alternate one? I'd definitely ask your doctor or pharmacist, however. No sense in being miserable. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:42 pm

Hi Andrea, <BR> <BR>I had taken vanco pills for approximately twenty months with no side effects; however, when I began taking the liquid vanco I became nauseated, especially when I would lie down. It definitely did not agree with my stomach. I think tiredness is a very common complaint with cdiff but, yes, I also became more tired while on the liquid vanco. <BR>Fortunately, I was able to go back on the pills. <BR> <BR>My pharmacist mixed my vanco with distilled water. <BR>I would then take one teaspoonful of this solution and mix it into orange juice. The pharmacist thought maybe the acidity in the orange juice was making me nauseous. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Jennie']

jennie
Regular Contributor

Does liquid Vanco work as well?

Postby jennie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Have switched from the capsules to the ampoules, the liquid Vanco, in the past few days. Am not sure if it works as well? I seem to have got better more quickly on the capsules. Has anyone else tried both and found one better than the other? The ampoules are a lot less costly, but do they work as well?

Return to “Treatments”