Antibiotic for streptococcus pyogenes in c.diff recurrence patient.

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Brane S
New User

Antibiotic for streptococcus pyogenes in c.diff recurrence patient.

Postby Brane S » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:11 am

Male, 32, 180cm, 80kg, caucasion, serbia, throat pharynx, c.diff, none (except daily probiotic), no photo. Male presenting with pharyngitis with positive strep. pyogenes culture. There are evident white patches on the pharynx, severe pain on neck evident inflamed lymph nodes on neck and non severe pain in frontal sinus. Tonsillectomy done 6 years ago. Clostridium difficile presented 5 months ago and ever since on different probiotics. Antibiogram for strep shows sensitivity to all antibiotics listed but no tetracycline listed. Not allergic to penicillin. I need assistance for selecting the best antibiotic with the smallest chance of c.diff recurrence.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antibiotic for streptococcus pyogenes in c.diff recurrence patient.

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am

Hello Brane S. It looks like you are a new user, so please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc.

You can find a guide for antibiotics listed by c-diff risk under CDI All You need to know. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636

I, along with others have taken a z-pack successfully without recurrence. Definitely take probiotics during and after finishing any antibiotic.

Hope you feel better,
Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 am

If an actual throat culture was done, when it grows out positive for anything sensitivities should be done which will give you which antibiotics are sensitive to your actual infection.
Then check the list Lisa mentioned under CDI

Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:14 pm

I have been curious myself which antibiotic is safer with lower incidence of causing C Diff - Penicillin V or Azythromycin? I have seen conflicting information on this.

Brane S
New User

Postby Brane S » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 am

Lisa33 wrote:
> Hello Brane S. It looks like you are a new user, so please read the first
> forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc.
>
> You can find a guide for antibiotics listed by c-diff risk under CDI All
> You need to know. Here is the link:
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636
>
> I, along with others have taken a z-pack successfully without recurrence.
> Definitely take probiotics during and after finishing any antibiotic.
>
> Hope you feel better,
> Lisa
I take probiotics every day, if I dont i will get the D.
Only Penicillin is effective in Strep. pyogenes because 6 years ago before i get my tonsils out they tried everything and only penicillin worked.
Question is, does penicillin g (shot to the but cheek) have the less chance of activating the c.diff compared to oral penicillin lets say augmentin? I cant find any data on this and by my experience when they had me one year on antibiotics the penicillin g did not upset my stomach even after 15 day treatment.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 pm

PCN or what we generally give as an IM injection is Bicillin LA does have risk of CDIFF as nearly all antibiotics do. If you look it up, you will find the warning. We have our list as Lisa mentioned and I always give a call to my GI if an antibiotic is needed for their advice.

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”