Colostrum

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 7:34 pm

I searched the site and found nothing on this. Has anyone ever heard of taking colostrum to help aid in immunity of bad bacteria? I have been drinking Kefir milk and went to the website to see about ordering starter to make my own. Anyway, they advertise a kefir product which includes cow colostrum and the ad specifically mentions C. Diff. bacteria. Unfortunately, the product is not available for sale in my area, but I know you can get colostrum in other forms at the health food stores. Just wondering if there was any info on this. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Jenny S.']

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 9:20 pm

This is an interesting thought. There was actually a drug company (veterinary drugs) in New England somewhere, I think, researching a product which incorporated cow colostrum to treat c-diff in humans. I can't remember the name of the company, but had some conversations with them back when I was ill. You might try doing a web search incorporating the words clostridium difficile and colostrum. Perhaps it will take you to this company. When I spoke to them, they were only in Phase I trials. Somehow I'm thinking ImmuCell - something like that. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 9:25 pm

What a memory....this is from <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.ImmuCell.Com." target="_blank">www.ImmuCell.Com.</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR> <BR>"DiffGAM – Preventing and treating infections of the gastrointestinal tract in humans <BR> <BR>ImmuCell has demonstrated preliminary efficacy in an open label, Phase I/II efficacy study of DiffGAM, an alternative to antibiotics in the treatment and/or prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in humans. In March, 2001, ImmuCell entered into a license and supply agreement with Novatreat Ltd. of Turku, Finland covering certain nutritional, risk reduction rights for functional food applications of the Company’s DiffGAM technology outside of North America. The Company anticipates receiving $100,000 in fees during 2001 in connection with the initial supply of clinical material to Novatreat under the agreement. <BR> <BR>Novatreat will fund the necessary product development, clinical trial and regulatory costs related to DiffGAM’s nutritional product opportunity going forward. Beginning in 2003 and thereafter, ImmuCell expects to earn a manufacturing gross margin and royalties on product sales under the long-term supply component of the agreement with Novatreat. Product ordered by Novatreat will be manufactured at ImmuCell’s plant in Portland, Maine. The license agreement does not cover ImmuCell’s colonic delivery or milk processing and other related patents. ImmuCell would like to out-license these rights to a partner in a separate agreement. <BR> <BR>“We intend to develop and commercialize a range of immune milk products,” commented Dr. Lex Muntjewerf, chairman of Novatreat. “Working with ImmuCell allows us to quickly advance the Clostridium difficile product ahead in our clinical and product development pipeline.” DiffGAM anti-C. difficile immunoglobulins are targeted at treatment and prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (“CDAD”). CDAD is a major problem in patients receiving broad spectrum oral antibiotics. A major challenge facing mankind as we move forward toward the 21st century is staying ahead of rapidly evolving microbial pathogens that threaten our health and well-being. More and more of the drugs in our modern medicine chest are becoming less effective as micro-organisms develop resistance mechanisms to enhance their own survival. As alarming as this ongoing struggle between humans and microbial pathogens may seem, ingenuity and innovation are the traits that have served us well in the past. These same traits provide the foundation upon which ImmuCell is developing DiffGAM. <BR> <BR>ImmuCell sources the protective antibodies for DiffGAM and its animal health product First Defense® from the milk of donor cows. Antibodies against specific pathogens are purified from the milk of cows that have been hyper-immunized with vaccines custom-made by ImmuCell. These purified antibodies are then formulated into a product that will be orally delivered to treat and/or prevent infections." <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Fri May 31, 2002 7:06 am

I searched on the company that makes the colostrum for the Kefir company and following is what I found. <BR> <BR>There is further info on the website about scientific studies. It does not specifically mention C. Diff. but it does mention parasites and other bacteria causing diarrhea. I will keep checking into this and let you know what I find out. <BR> <BR> <BR>PharmAssure Proventra Dietary Supplement <BR> <BR>PharmAssure Proventra is a dietary supplement delivering GalaGen's Proventra Natural Immune Components. <BR> <BR>The PharmAssure line of supplements was developed by nutrition experts and is recommended by Rite Aid pharmacists as the most complete line of scientifically formulated supplements available. <BR> <BR>Proventra supplement is available as part of the Cell Health category within the PharmAssure line at <BR> * GNC stores <BR> * Rite Aid pharmacies <BR> * on the Internet at <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.drugstore.com." target="_blank">www.drugstore.com.</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR> <BR>Proventra Natural Immune Components <BR>Proventra contains a natural mixture of bioactive proteins. <BR> <BR>Each tablet delivers 50 mg of broad-spectrum antibodies (immunoglobulin-G), lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase and cytokines isolated from dairy cow colostrum. <BR> <BR>Components contained in Proventra use many mechanisms to: <BR> * weaken undesirable organisms, <BR> * prevent the growth and attachment of these organisms <BR> onto the walls of the GI tract and <BR> * promote health. <BR> <BR>These components boost the body's natural ability to fight off undesirable organisms, which enhances the body's natural resistance. <BR> <BR>Proventra's components have demonstrated clinical activity against a wide variety of organisms. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Jenny S.']

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:17 pm

My understanding is that Proventra--or the colostrum compound produced by Galagen is no longer being manufacturered (although there may still be some left on the market). Also, because Proventra is not being manufactured anymore, the Kefir that contained colostrum is no longer available--that info I got from the president of Lifeway foods, the company that had previously sold it. I tried to get some for Kyle in March. <BR> <BR>Immucell (in Maine) licensed/sold (whatever-these legal techanicalities are beyond me) its C diff immunoglobulin product (at least the product for use in humans, maybe not the one used for veterinary purposes) to a company in the Netherlands called Mucovax. You can check out their website and contact them via the site--they are very good about responding promptly. If we hadn't had such success with VSL3, we were going to get Kyle some of this product via a compassionate-use protocol--they are very willing to work with U.S. physicians under their precise treatment guidelines. My understanding was that they were going to begin clinical trials in April in hospitalized elderly patients with C diff in Holland. I think the medical director of Mucvax's name is Dr. Louis Thoerig if that helps. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'kyles mom']

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:30 am

I did some further searching on the net and found a supplement review (don't have the website info in front of me now) about colostrum. The review cautioned that all the studies that claim results with colostrum products have used a dosage of up to 60g per day. Most pills have less than a gram and most powder mixes have only a few grams. And since the cost is not cheap ($30 for 100 pills on average) you would have to spend a lot and take a lot to get the same dosage as was used in the studies. <BR> <BR>There is a company in Arizona called Symbiotics that makes a colostrum product. I bought a few of their powder drink mixes just to try. They have 3g of colostrum each. So far no change in my status. I am also using one VSL3 packet per day, but I'm only on day 10 and the VSL3 people say it can take 2-3 weeks for results. Since I'm still taking Vanco 250 mg per day it may even take a little longer. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Jenny S.']

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:32 am

A new nutritional therapy for Clostrididum difficile infection. For more details see abstract accepted posters at <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.idsociety.org." target="_blank">www.idsociety.org.</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> In October next IDSA (Congress Infectious Diseases Society America) will be organized in San Diego. During the congress an update will be published as a poster from the promising clinical findings with Mucomilk. <BR> <BR>Dr Louis Thorig MBA <BR>Medical Director MucoVax <BR>Niels Bohrweg 11-13 <BR>2333CA Leiden <BR>Netherlands

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:09 am

Allan contributed this. Many thanks

A finnish company(Novatreat) is developing immune factors from immunized cows against c difficile. They use the colostrum from these cows and until now it has been 100% effective. It´s called Cediff and approved for compassionate use only.
I will let you know how it works.
I have been with the beast for 9 months with countless rounds of metronidazole, vanco and rifaximin.

Crapshoot
New User

US hospital testing Dutch colostrum

Postby Crapshoot » Mon May 15, 2006 11:56 am

US hospital testing Dutch colostrum
Interested parties may contact doctor there:

"Thanks for your interest in Immune Milk.

DMV is the party processing the milk and having the marketing rights for Immune Milk.

at this time, Immune Milk is not commercially available in the USA.
due to product liability, we can not provide you with product at this early stage.

It has been provided to a couple of hospitals in order to generate efficacy data.
the hospital in Pittsburgh has tested the product. I suggest you contact the doctor there to see if he can include you in his research protocol:

Peter Veldkamp
MD infectious diseases
Falk Medical Building, suite 611
3601 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
tel, 412-647-5399

VeldkampP@dom.pitt.edu

best regards

Rinske Mourits
Business Development

Phone: +31 -317-465339
Postal Address: P.O. Box 13, NL-5460 BA Veghel

Visit Address: Innovium, DMV International, Nieuwe Kanaal 7r, NL-6709 PA Wageningen

Internet: www.dmv-international.com

DMV International, The ingredients of success."

Return to “Treatments”