Seres Therapeutics SER-262 study, advice on contagion aspect

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
boogieon
Brand New Poster

Seres Therapeutics SER-262 study, advice on contagion aspect

Postby boogieon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 pm

I contracted C diff after an outpatient surgery (laparoscopic hysterectomy) last month. I was on metrodinazole for ten days and now, two weeks later, I feel much better.

I found and qualified for a clinical trial for a drug that aims to prevent recurrence. Here is the description from Seres Therapeutics' website:
SER-262-001 is an ongoing Phase 1b clinical study evaluating the safety, tolerability and effectiveness of SER-262 versus placebo in adults diagnosed with their first episode of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) following standard-of-care antibiotics to treat CDI.

I received the dose today, though there's no way to no if it's a placebo.

My concern is this: my father has cancer and has been told he is in the end stage. His immunity is compromised and he is in bad shape. I want to spend time with him but I'm terrified that I could infect him with C diff and shorten the time he has left and make him miserable with this illness. How do others deal with being around the elderly, people who are very ill, or babies? Would I be able to be around my dad safely if I wore gloves or a mask and didn't touch anything? It is heartbreaking to want to spend time with him but hesitating because I don't want to give him more illness. Any info/advice is appreciated.

Also interested to hear from anyone who has been in or is in this study. Thank you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Seres Therapeutics SER-262 study, advice on contagion aspect

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 pm

You get c difficile via the oral fecal route, so your dad would have to ingest spores. Wash your hands really well and you can wear gloves if it makes you feel safer. I would try to use a separate bathroom if you have bms. Check with your doctor, but I don't think you need worry that much.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Hello Boogien and Welcome to the Site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I have heard of this drug study but have not seen anyone on the site who is part of it. I wish you the best with it! Please let us know how you do

I am sorry about your Dad. As Beth mentioned, take all precautions and check with his physician.

NanciT

boogieon
Brand New Poster

Postby boogieon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks, beth22 and NanciT, for your replies and advice.

I will keep all posted on the study as it progresses, too. If anyone is interested in enrolling, the website is here:
http://www.serestherapeutics.com/ser-26 ... -001-study

boogieon
Brand New Poster

Postby boogieon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Just want to update this to report that four months later, I have not had a recurrence of C Diff. I *might have* (it is a double blind clinical trial) had the single dose of the SER-262 drug in late October. I didn't use any probiotic supplements or other supplements. My final clinic visit for the trial is in late April.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for updating us. I ended up and had to have a fecal transplant, so am very interested in the microbiota restoration drugs being developed by seres therapeutics and Rebiotix to prevent recurrence. Hopefully these will make it through stage 3, and become effective available treatments that are easier to obtain than fecal transplants.

Return to “Treatments”