Vaccine - ExperimentalTreatment

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:46 am

Lauren - Thanks for your encouraging words. <BR>Please ask your mom if she had Giant Cell Arteritis also. This is the disease that causes the more serious problems. <BR> <BR>Right now, I have yeast infections in most of my body due to the steroids. <BR> <BR>I also forgot to mention in my earlier post that steroids can prevent a vaccine or immunization from "taking". Since I began taking steroids so soon after the vaccinations, there is a possibility that my vaccine didn't take. I emailed Dr. Kelly about this matter and he told me to beware of antibiotics. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Jennie c']

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:27 pm

Does anyone know the status of the vaccine that Dr. Kelly was testing in clinical trials?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:31 pm

Pattik- <BR>The vaccine has been stopped for now and no word as to when they will resume the last time I checked. Evidentally the trials did not go as anticipated.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:43 pm

Pattik, <BR>I believe CindyM is correct and Dr. Kelly isn't testing the vaccine for C. diff. His contact info. is listed in the "Doctors" section. Try him and see.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Posted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:22 am by Bobbie

The vaccine also sounds promising. I've written Dr. Kelly several times, and he's always responded. Here's an excerpt from his last E-mail.

Our most appropriate and recent review article is:
Kyne L, Farrell R, Kelly CP. Clostridium difficile. Gastroenterol Clin North
Am 2001;30:753-77.
This covers diagnosis and treatment including treatment of recurrent C.
difficile associated diarrhea. I can provide it in electronic format and
am happy for you to post it on your site but you would also need the
permission of the publisher.

The vaccine is not live but based on inactivated C. difficile toxins (a so
called toxoid vaccine similar to that used to protect against tetanus)

Ciaran P. Kelly, M.D.
Associate Physician
Director Gastroenterology Fellowship Training
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Dana 601
330 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
Associate Professor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Office (617) 667 1272
Personal (617) 667 1264
Fax (617) 975 5071
email ciaran_kelly@caregroup.harvard.edu

Posted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:26 am

Kelly submitted the following information about the vaccine. Thanks Kelly.

As to the other question about the vaccine being prophylactic...There's a couple of things worth mentioning here---1) Vaccine are usually administered in a diluent or a solution that also contains chemicals called adjuvants. Adjuvants are highly immunogenic molecules that trigger an immune response; this helps the body recognize the "thing" that a person is getting immunized against as "foreign". (In this case, C diff toxins or inactivated, partial toxins) 2)Because the immunizations are probably given intramuscularly, small amounts of the vaccine can be gradually released from the muscle over time and exposed to immune cells --for ultimate antibody production...Because the injections of toxins are "in the body" (as opposed to "in the GI tract"), the body is more likely to react against what it perceives as a foreign invader. Remember, many physicians actually consider the GI tract as external to the body. And the immune responses made in the GI tract--or external to the body--are different than the immune responses that get mounted when the same "invader" is in the body. Think for example about all the trillions of bacteria that are normally in the intestines that our bodies don't react against & that dont make us sick on a daily basis, but if any of these bacteria entered our bloodstream, not only would we get very sick but our bodies would mount a response against it. Even probiotics are this way--they are safe for consumption when they stay in our GI tracts, but if the same bacteria were in the blood stream, we would be septic...3)The way the immune system works is that the first time we are exposed to a bacteria/virus, our bodies have to first recognize it and then begin making antibodies against it - so we usually get sick. BUT with subsequent exposure to the same "bug" the immune system recognizes it right away and already has "memory cells" that already know how to make specific antibodies - so we don't get sick --it just gets eliminated.

Thats why we are immunized as kids. If we were exposed to diptheria, measles, mumps, rubella, etc. after being immunized, we are not likely to get sick because of those "memory cells" that react and make appropriate antibodies right away to eliminate the invader before it gets out of control.

For people that have C diff and can't get rid of it, the most obvious reason (and shown in some of Dr. Kelly's published data) is that their guts are not recognizing the toxins as foreign and not mounting a response against them. BUT, the study in Boston is introducing the C diff toxins into the body with adjuvants to aid in the likelihood that they will be recognized as foreign. Now the body has been primed and knows that it is supposed to react, so when it sees the same toxins in the gut, those antibodies are already made and ready to go fight!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2002 5:39 am by Bobbie

Here's the information on Dr. Kelly's vaccine (copied from our hyperlink to Beth Israel Deaconess Med. Center in Boston.) For more information, go into the hyperlink.

Dr. Ciarán Kelly's laboratory studies the pathophysiology of gastrointestinal infectious diseases. Dr. Kelly has a longstanding interest in the host immune response to Clostridium difficile, the etiologic agent of antibiotic-associated diarrhea and pseudomembranous colitis. Dr. Kelly's research group has shown that a systemic humoral immune response to C. difficile toxin A is associated with natural protective immunity against C. difficile. This important finding has opened the way to clinical studies to develop passive and active immunization regimens to prevent and treat C. difficile diarrhea and colitis. Dr. Kelly's group has also shown that leukocyte activation by C. difficile toxins is an integral component of the pathophysiology of C. difficile enterocolitis. A recent study shows that the pro-inflammatory effects of C. difficile toxins result from the activation of NF-kß and MAP kinase signaling pathways by a mechanism independent of their previously described rho-glucosylation activity.

By Bobbie (Bobbie) on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 08:19 am:

Dave F. provided the above information plus the hyperlink:
http://www.bidmc.harvard.edu/medicine/r ... terologyrp.
htm

http://www.bidmc.harvard.edu/medicine/r ... terologyrp

The above page now takes you to the home page of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, here:

http://bidmc.harvard.edu/display.asp?leaf_id=2705

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:19 pm by jbb

Here is a link to an article on the Vaccine as well as a Dr's name who is doing some work with it.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/monte ... ald_health

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 pm by MaryT

Acambis is the same pharmaceutical company that Dr. Kelly from Boston did vaccine trials with a couple of years ago. At the time I wrote to Acambis and they had indicated a second trial would be going on around this time. I don't know if Dr. Kelly is involved this time or not.

Return to “Treatments”