Clostridium Butyricum

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:54 pm

Has anyone considered ingesting clostridium butyricum in an attempt to get it to replace the clostridium difficile? <BR>Robert <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Robert']

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:21 pm

Robert, <BR>Dr. Borody talks about C. butyricum in his article. (Now located on the bottom of the home page.) I have an article about it from <!-- BBCode Start --><I>The Journal of The Japanese Association for Infections Diseases 1425-1442,1990.</I><!-- BBCode End --> I know it is routinely given in Japan when people are hospitalized and given antibiotics but rarely (if ever) used here. Perhaps you find out more by investigating this article. How did you find out about it? <BR> <BR>Correct me if I'm wrong because so many people post on this site, but aren't you the patient with no symptoms but just positive toxin tests? Dr. Borody also addresses this in his article.<BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Bobbie']

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:02 pm

Has anyone been able to get ahold of the probiotic Clostridium Butyricum that they sell in Japan?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:43 am

stardust, <BR>According to an article in <!-- BBCode Start --><I>The Journal of The Japanese Association for Infections Diseases</I><!-- BBCode End --> (1425-1432, 1990), Miya BM (Miyarisan Pharmaceutical Co., LTD) manufactures Clostridium Butyricum M588 -- a microbial intestine conditioner. The article was written by six scientists or doctors from the Dept. of Bacteeriology, Research Institute of Comprehensive Medicine and First Dept. of Internal Medicine, U. of the Ryukyus School of Medicine. You might try a search on the Internet to locate the company or to contact the university. Please let us know what you find.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:57 am

I'm very surprised I haven't read any stories on here about using Clostridium Butyricum M588 that they give patients before being admitted into hospitals to PREVENT c diff specifically. Evidently it isn't approved for use in the US for some reason so they won't ship it here. Anyone from another country have experience with this probiotic? I guess it is used extensively in Japan and China and a few other countries. I suppose I'll email Dr borody and see if he uses it on his patients.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:21 pm

enlightened, <BR>I've known about C. But. for several years but don't think it's available in the US. I added the info. about it in the FAQ section (under Probiotics -- most recent post is the last one). <BR>Please do contact Dr. Borody about it and let us know what he says. You could also do some checking on the Internet and let us know the results. From what I've read about it, it sounds promising.

rimbaud
New User

Postby rimbaud » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:14 am

Here's an update for an old thread:

Osel Inc. (in CA) licensed Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI 588 strain from the Miyarisan Pharmaceutical Company (Japan) last year. Osel has been conducting clinical trials, and is seeking FDA approval to market it here in the US. If the FDA is involved, that means it will be sold as a prescription item.

My dad, a pharmacy professor, phoned Osel about this recently. They didn't give him any further info on when/if the product will be approved and released. Osel has renamed the product CDACTIN-O.

http://www.oselinc.com/clinical_development

Return to “Treatments”