Anyone get rid of this with Dificid?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
kristi11
New User

Anyone get rid of this with Dificid?

Postby kristi11 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Quick background- 43 yo otherwise healthy female got treated with Clindamycin in late May for an infected salivary gland, and then got C. Diff symptoms and DX on June 13. Got treated with Flagyl and relapsed July 8. Got 14 days of Vanco and then relapsed July 28. Started 10 days of Dificid and now I've been off the Dificid for 2.5 weeks and saw the Dr. today. I have PI-IBS and Dr said it's likely the C.diff will be back and if it comes back he wants to do a FMT. Dr also said that probiotics are hit or miss and not to bother with Florastor. I am so frustrated. I finally feel like I am getting better and have been hoping the Dificid did it's job and killed the Diff. Does anyone have a similar experience and not need the FMT?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anyone get rid of this with Dificid?

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes, there are a few posters that did not need FMT after they tried Dificid. They will probably post when they read your post.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:33 pm

My daughter had 4 relapses, 2 after Flagyl and 2 after Vanco. We saw a GI to set her up for an FMT while she was on Dificid. At that point, we asked for a Dificid taper, to give her the best chance to not have further recurrences. I distinctly remember the GI doc writing us the prescription for the Dificid, while saying in front of my 14 year old daughter "Oh, she will definitely relapse again." My poor daughter.

That was 10 months ago and she has been c diff free since finishing the Dificid taper. I was very glad to not have to put her through the FMT. And yes, she had food intolerances and PI-IBS afterwards, but she steadily got better and is reintroducing foods slowly. She no longer gets stomach cramps at school, and she is back to varsity volleyball and feeling strong. You can beat this!

If you're really against doing the FMT unless as a last resort, you can discuss the possibility of a Dificid taper with your doc, if your c diff returns. (Fingers crossed it WON'T!!!) My daughter took 14 days twice a day, 14 days once a day, and then we convinced our ID to give her 7 more pills for one pill every other day. It worked for her within 2 doses and she had no side effects from it.

I do believe there are posters here who were ultimately cured by a regular Dificid course without a taper, even after relapsing after the other meds.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 am

Most posters were cured after a course of Dificid , few of them relapsed after the ten day course and went on a taper. A long course of Dificid was a magic bullet for many people here after several courses of Vanco were failing to cure the infection. Please talk to your doctor about a taper/pulse of Dificid , it will definitely increase the chances of success.

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm

I also acquired c. Diff in May from taking clindamyacin from a tonsillar abcess due to strep throat. I was initially treated with flagyl for 10 days and it came back after 4 days of finishing the med. I was then put on 10 days of dificid which cleared the infection for me. I am now just over 12 weeks post dificid and am doing great. I did have some post IBS symptoms for a few weeks after the meds but took fiber and l-glutamine powder which seemed to clear the IBS symptoms for me. I am now off all supplements and back to my regular diet/routine. Hope your doing well and wish you continued healing.

kristi11
New User

Postby kristi11 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 am

I'm now 4 weeks off Dificid and still having severe PI-IBS but I think it's slowly getting better. I'm sticking to sweet potatoes, chicken, turkey, beef and rice noodles w butter. I am having a small cup of coffee and I know I probably shouldn't but it's less than half of what I was having pre C diff. My GI said I'm likely out of the woods for the c diff but no promises and that the IBS will likely be another 3 months.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 am

Everyone is different with the Post IBS. If you are 4 wks out that is Fantastic!!

There are medications that can help the IBS. I have been on and off hycosamine which I use as needed now and have found it really helps. There are several medications, I would talk with your GI about it

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:03 am

Congrats for reaching one month mark , unfortunately you are not out of the woods but the worst has passed. Glad that IBS is getting better , as time goes by you will start seeing more improvement. It is great that you are able to drink your cup of coffee , if it doesn't bother you there is no reason why you shouldn't indulge yourself with a cup.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:15 am

Cannot say that I got rid of this yet but the Dificid definitely turned my symptoms around. My doctor says since I don't seem to have symptoms, my PCR is still testing positive but toxins are negative he believes the c-diff level is decreasing. I am taking a huge amount of probiotics (including Florastor), supplements and eating a very clean diet. My GI doctor says that Florastor is the only probiotic that fights against c-diff, my nutritionist disagrees so I am taking both and luckly able to handle it. It is not fun but I am hoping it will pay off in the long run.

My GI doc has stopped talking about FMT and has asked for a retest in 3 months to see if the PCR and toxins will be negative.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Christy

kristi11
New User

Postby kristi11 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

just to update, I am now 6 weeks off Dificid and still no C. diff. The PI-IBS is actually much better just as of this week and I think it has a lot to do with starting VSL because I've been on tons of other probiotics and as soon as I started this one my GI issues improved dramatically.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 am

Kristi
So happy you are doing well , it seems that Dificid has been your magic bullet. We look forward to read your success story!

kristi11
New User

Postby kristi11 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks Georgina! At what point can you post as a success story? I would like to share what I feel helped and hindered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:13 am

You can post it whenever you like. Saying what helped and hindered is a good idea.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:32 am

In Feb this year I acquired cdiff after clindamyacin (gosh,, what a theme). I could not take flagyl as it made problems worse for me. I was tried on Vancomyicin twice and neiter time workd...it caused me horrible side effects. Finally an ID doctor put me on Difficid for 10 days. Wow!!! No problems and it work3d. I have other issues I'm dealing with but the C-diff is quietly sitting in the back of my miind as a bad memory. I am now officially 5 months free. I am now able to eat everything i i want. After 9 months and a few meds flavor is off but that'll come with time. I wash shocked your doctor didn't thnk it would work. It is wonderful. As for testing ina couple months I would say no. Unless you are having symptoms, there is no need to test (follow the 3 day rule) that's in the help secction of this site. Just keep doing what you're doing. Hopefully you're done. Just curious, if you've south out a new doctor, one who understands C--diff a little better? All the best to you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Sophie, several of our posters were " cured" by Dificid. Hang in there!

Return to “Treatments”