Ubiome test

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
christyn
Regular User

Ubiome test

Postby christyn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 am

Has anyone done or heard of this? It appears to test the bacteria and determine levels of each to help find a diagnosis. But I am wondering if it is just like a PCR test and if it is worth trying.

https://ubiome.com/

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Ubiome test

Postby OCmama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 pm

I would be very skeptical of this as the sample would be many days old and degraded. Also not a huge fan of people putting C. spores in a "pre-paid" mailer lol

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Posters have spent money on this in the past.
Not a lot of use bearing in mind lots of the gut bacteria do not have a name and is unidentified.
Probably scare you with what it does find, e.coli etc is normal.
It's just a gimmick.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Agree. There are several companies that do this kind of "new" testing. They come up with a print out and suddenly the patient is very concerned over things that are often no concern.
I have seen some of the results from these companies, had patients really worried and upset.

NanciT

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks for the responses. My family members were thinking it could help me check bacteria levels but I am a bit skeptical as well. However, will to try anything that will help give me information about my progress.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm

We are all different, they can give you the values of a few of the gut bacteria but you have nothing to compare it with.
What's normal for you would be illness for the next person.
E.coli, salmonella, Listeria, staph, strep, and lots of other POTENTIALLY pathogenic bacteria will probably be detected.
None need treating if they are not causing problems.
It's a little like the DNA tests that tell you about your ancestral roots, no proof it's correct and even if it is it's only interesting and not of any use.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks roy. I think I agree. I have done these DNA tests before for mineral levels and ancestry. Ancestry was interesting, mineral levels told me nothing hence my skepticism about the ubiome. However, wanted to get feedback from someone else that may have tried it just in case it could be useful information. Will be holding off on this "tip" from my family for now.

Thankful for this group and all of your knowledge and willingness to share your experiences.

Return to “Treatments”