Culturelle v. S. Boulardii?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Florastor/Saccaromyces Boulardii

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:12 pm

A doctor prescribed S. Boullardi for my elderly parents who have had endless relapses. I finally ordered it off the web for them, although I'm not sure of the dosage or the differences between companies that sell it. <BR> <BR>I see most of you suggest Culturelle here. Do they work along similar lines? Is one better than the other, or should both be taken? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Meagan']

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:42 pm

My understanding about S. Boulaardi is that the key thing is to get one with the most number of live yeasts. Some manufacturing processes leave most of them kaput - which won't do anybody much good. I can't remember which brand is supposed to be best. Try doing an internet search on Christina Surawicz/saccaromyces boulaardi and see what comes up. Dr. Surawicz has researched S. boulaardi and has definite opinions on the subject. <BR> <BR>Culturelle is an alternate probiotic, which contains lactobacillus GG instead of saccaromyces boulaardi. Neither is considered a sure fire cure, both are considered as potential help. Not being a doctor, I would think that it wouldn't hurt to take both and it might be better than either alone. I don't believe they'd interfere with one another and both are considered to be pretty harmless. You might want to ask the doctor who recommended the s.b. <BR> <BR>Try getting your parents to eat organic yogurt as well. It has similar positive bacterial properties (and no trace antibiotics in the organic varieties). This may also help. <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:12 pm

Meagan, <BR>You can order the most potent and orignal form of S. boulardii from <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.Florastor.com." target="_blank">www.Florastor.com.</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> It is manufactured by Biocodex. You can also order it (Florastor) from The Country Herbalist (click on the right side of the home page on her icon.) If you order it from our site, I believe we get a slight fee and use the money to help run the site.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:04 pm

Meagan, <BR>I don't know anything about the brand manufactured by Jarrow. I think I'd stick with the original product manufactured by Biocodex. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Bobbie']

Postby Guest » Tue May 14, 2002 12:04 am

Has anyone noticed a feeling of bloatness and very sick to your stomach while taking live yeast? This would only occure after eating. It also has cut down my appetite completly. I have had c-diff for over a year and have been continuously on vancomyacin and still testing positive for c-diff. I also have severe back pain with this disease. Has anyone experienced pain with c-diff? Unfortunately, I am a T4 paraplegic. I hope to hear from someone soon who can understand how difficult this disease is. Thank you, Melissa. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'melissa']

Postby Guest » Tue May 14, 2002 9:33 pm

Concerning Culturelle/Lactobacillus GG and Florastor/Saccaromyces Ballardi - they are both probiotics that do not reporduce in the digestive tract but THEY WILL COEXIST WITH ANTIBIOTICS. Because of this characteristic, they can populate your large colon while you are on vanco or flagyll and then as you go off of the antibiotic and continue to take the Culturelle and/or Florastor they keep the colon populated with probiotics and lessen the spread of the Cdiff as the spores release the bacteria. <BR>Concerning traditional probiotics which populate and grow in the intestine, they will not survive while you are taking antibiotics. <BR>If you take the yogurt, acidopholus and bifidus as you are coming off of the antibiotics and concurrent with Culturelle and Florastor for a week or two after coming off the anitbiotic, you will have a better chance of controlling the cdiff while your body repopulates with multiplying long term "good" bacteria. <BR>I have overcome cdiff after 3 months of full disability with this disease, including internal bleeding on both relapse and initial infection. I did this by researching heavily and using some non-traditional treatments which I would be glad to share. <BR> <!-- BBcode auto-mailto start --><a href="mailto:donna_berland@agilent.com">donna_berland@agilent.com</a><!-- BBCode auto-mailto end --> <BR>Mechanical Engineer<BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Donna']

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:28 pm

Michele, <BR> <BR>I am crossing topics here but I am wondering if the sb in primal defense is why I can not seem to get past 2 scoops either. it is a much smaller concentrations than taking a sacro b pill alone. After my round of fasigyn and ntz at the begining of the summer i built up the pd to 3 scoops over an 8 week period. Best I have been gi wise in 5 years. then tried another round of antibiotics to kill the parasite and ended up with cdiff again. I think I read about your inquiry into pd. <BR> <BR>I was also consitpated (is this an unusual cdiff sympton?) until the sacro b yesterday now everytime food gets to my large colon and my four hour trigger I am running to the bathroom. Ugh should the s boulardii do this? <BR> <BR>So for these next few days I think 1/2 scoop of pd and natren and culturelle. <BR> <BR>should I notice any improvements in my sysmptons by now? (day 6 of vanco) My head is going to split open from the headaches, plus still have the nausea, fever, intense hungar etc. maybe a combination of the die off from primal defense and the cdiff?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Melissa,

I find that yeast is hard on my stomach too. However, in the reading I've done on the net, it sounds like yeast plus vanco gives better results (fewer relapses) than just vanco by itself, so I'm taking 3 Florastors (250 mg)/day. Primadophilus reuteri has helped my appetite. I also take acidophilus and Culturelle, figuring can't hurt, might help. I have lots of pain during relapses but not on vanco. You are so right, this disease sucks.

Return to “Treatments”