Fecal Infusion Part II (Tom Borody's Treatment)

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:06 am

Dear all, <BR> <BR>Me (David) again. For those that have been following my treatment, sorry for my tardiness - life has been demanding over the last few months. (For my history see "Tom Borody's Treament (Pooh Enema)" <BR> <BR>The rectal infusions definitely lessened the symptoms from 'constant' to 'most-of-the-time'... conclusion... that my infections are more of the small bowel than the large. <BR> <BR>The next trick Tom had up is sleeve is very experimental and I am only the 3rd patient to undergo the treament. It cannot be done at home. <BR> <BR>The treatment involves a course of anti-biotics, a day of clear fluids only, and fasting from midnight. <BR> <BR>A naso-gastro tube is inserted early in the morning (under anathestic) and then 9 litres of laxative are fed through the tube over 3 hours. <BR> <BR>After a break and a big dose of Immodium, 1 litre of stool material is dribbled down the tube at a rate of about 300ml/hour. <BR> <BR>The idea of this treatment is to completely wash out the gut and then re-colonise it with healthy bugs. <BR> <BR>It was done on Monday - today is Wednesday and so far so good but we need to wait about a month before we can make any meaningful statements about success. <BR> <BR>Hang in there everybody. While it's been tough, I have developed a faith that Tom is not going to give up until I'm well!!! <BR> <BR>David. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'David']

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:24 pm

Hi all, <BR> <BR>It's now 6 weeks since my treatment and we are tentatively calling it a success. <BR> <BR>I've had ups and downs but the downs are lessening in severity and duration.... I went for one whole week with no problems at all. And these days, it's just a bit of diarhoea. Most other symptoms are gone (bloating, grumpiness, thirst etc). <BR> <BR>My gut/bugs still seem to be very senstive. I braved some Thai food WITH chilli last Friday - not a good idea. Coffee on an empty stomach will also upset me. Any alcohol also seems unwise. <BR> <BR>If I stick to plain foods and make sure I eat as soon as I feel any hunger, things seem to be ok. <BR> <BR>I'm a bit of a pioneer case as only two other people have had this procedure and they had other structural problems (ie: gut damage) so they are not a good benchmark. <BR> <BR>Anyhow, fingers crossed and I encourage you all to contact Tom ( <!-- BBcode auto-mailto start --><a href="mailto:tborody@zip.com.au">tborody@zip.com.au</a><!-- BBCode auto-mailto end --> ) should you want more information about these treatments. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>David.<BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'David']

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:17 am

Hi everyone. Just a quick update. Things have pretty much stablised since my treatments with Tom Borody. Thats not to say things are fine but they are manageable. I still have episodes aout twice a week but they pass quickly (pardon the pun)and are rarely as severe as they used to be. <BR> <BR>Being a perfectioonist, I'm still not happy so am pursuing what options remain for me. <BR> <BR>Sorry, but yet another email address - this one will last <!-- BBcode auto-mailto start --><a href="mailto:drdoig@yahoo.com.au">drdoig@yahoo.com.au</a><!-- BBCode auto-mailto end --> <BR> <BR>Regards to all, <BR>David.<BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'David']

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:40 pm

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:35 pm

Sophie provided this information. Thanks, Sophie.
I was browsing the web last night and found these two articles that are very interesting about fecal enemas...just more proofs that it works. May be the reference to these articles is already on this site...I have not read everything that is on this site and I apologise if it's already here.
I printed them and will show them to my GI if I have another relapse...Actually I will show them even if I don't have a relapse, may be it will help other patients with c-diff. I might be naive but since one of the article was published in THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY...I just thought may be I could talk her( my GI) into doing it to me if I need it. From what I read on this site here, no doctors do it in the USA but from one article it looks like there might be one in NY city.

"Germs that do a body good; Bacteria might someday keep the doctor away. "

http://www.sciencenews.org/20020202/bob9.asp

and

"Treatment of recurrent Clostridium Difficile-associated diarrhea by administration of donated stool directly through a colonoscope"

Volume 95, Issue 11, pages 3283-3285

http://www.medicinedirect.com/journal/journal?sdid=6076

I forgot to mention that the second article, the one from THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY is from the november issue. So to make things easier...when you get to the website click on "previous issues" then click on
" volume 95 " , then click "issue 11 ( november)" then scroll down to page 3283-3285.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:59 pm
MX posted this. Thanks, MX.

Bobbie and everybody else:
I did the Dr. Borody treatment at home about 1.5 years ago and it cured me basically from the first day. I had another baby (and much stress) since then and still no sign of C. Diff.
As I recall Carolyn who had done it before me was already over C. Diff. at the time. Of course I think everybody should study all their options carefully before doing a treatment.

MX

Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:22 pm
MX provided the following info. Thanks, MX.

Beans are a great source of fibre.

Make sure your donor goes on a high fibre diet for a couple of weeks before the infusions. My husband took his job as donor seriously and we did very well.

Diet never helped me one way or another (I love fruits and veggies anyway) and I ate a lot of those through the year of being sick and afterwards (after the initial few months of C. Diff. I noticed it doesn't help me to cut those).

One thing I tell everybody is to make sure you are regular during the days of infusion. For best results you want to have a bm before the infusion every day. I know being regular is something we don't worry about when we have C. Diff. But the first day of the treatment you take Immodium and that and trying to hold the infusion in will throw you off balance.

I suggest that you make sure you have a high fibre diet right after the infusions. My husband had lots of beans and he forced me to have some every day too (I'm not too crazy about them) and it seemed to help.

Good Luck,

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:37 am

I found two things very interesting in the the article on the link below. First was the comment about the treatment working 100% of the time and second from the perspective that this is getting more mainstream press (at least it is not just in a medical journal).

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0905/w ... 91605.php3

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:23 pm

Vicki: Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006
My husband was my donor, and the tests were covered by insurance, and were only a couple hundred anyway. It's just some blood tests.

Christina: Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006
Although, I have not had an infusion in January my husband had all of the tests done if we need them and the insurance company did pay for them.At least their portion.

Dorothy: Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006
My GI just wrote a script for my husband's tests and he went to the lab and had them done. The insurance company never questioned them. It was much the same panel of tests that they had done on me in the ER for infectious disease and parasites. If you don't make an issue of the fact that it is for an "experimental" procedure, I doubt the insurance company would even notice.

stephine: Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006
I asked people I knew if they would be willing to donate. Insurance covered everyone's tests... but no.. it's not just a couple blood tests. It's about 14 and stool tests and cost $2200 if their insurance won't pay. We had one person with Cigna and they would not pay so we did not have her tested. My doctor agreed to write the tests for everyone until we found a donor, but had their PCP tell them what the results were. One of the people I had tested approached their doctor about ordering the tests for her in case something went wrong with insurance and he refused because it's considered experimental. All of the docs in CA refused too, but it's really up to the doc. Once he wrote the tests they just went down to the lab and had their blood drawn and the picked up the stool sample cups... went at home.. put it in the fridge overnight and dropped it off the next day. Results were back in two weeks.

stephine: Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006
Oh, and the one doctor who refused to write the tests for the donor now wants to know all about it.. he has two patients on antibiotics with C.Diff that aren't being cured. Isn't that awesome... as soon as he heard I was cured his eyes lit up. I hope more state side docs will be open to this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:21 pm

There are two videos regarding infusions. Go to www.cdiffsupport.com to view them. (Most of us have the site has a favorite -- which takes you to the second page.) The home page has the videos listed on the left hand side.

As usual, the caveat: We don't promote any treatments on this site as it is a support site only. We do mention the options available.

Return to “Treatments”