3 weeks post FMT C DIFF FREE but terrible IBS -Xifaxan?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
STS-0
Regular User

3 weeks post FMT C DIFF FREE but terrible IBS -Xifaxan?

Postby STS-0 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm now 3 weeks post FMT and I've tested C Diff NEGATIVE twice now! Woohoo! However, I have terrible post infectious IBS that basically makes it so that my symptoms are almost the same as when I had C Diff: frequent D...

GI is prescribing Xifaxan. But I'm super leery to take it since it's an antibiotic!

Any input?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: 3 weeks post FMT C DIFF FREE but terrible IBS -Xifaxan?

Postby amyc » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 pm

It has helped several folks here and not caused relapse. I believe Beth is one of them, so you could send her a PM.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:07 am

I did take Xifaxan post c difficile and it did not cause a relapse, but it was hard on my GI tract while I took it. Afterwards I felt better though. Have you been tested for SIBO? I had a breath test that was sky high, so that is why I took it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 am

I took three courses of Rifaximine , first one was as a chaser to my last Vanco taper and two more courses of 10 days for another two months , felt great while on it and did not relapsed after it.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:58 am

I'm really glad to hear it helped you guys! If you don't mind my asking, what were your symptoms that prompted your GIs to prescribe it? My GI did not test for SIBO, he's just prescribing it based on my symptom of frequent urgent D, so I'm a little surprised he's prescribing an antibiotic without there being pathogenic bacteria present. My stool test came back clear.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm

I had a lot of food intolerances - no fruit, vegetables, dairy, anything with fiber. Also a lot of gas and I think D off and on, not all the time, unless I ate one of the things that would cause it and then it would be a couple of hours after I ate it. Stool tests were all normal at that time too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 am

I had the same issues as Beth , lots of food intolerances , terrible bloating and gurgling every day and lots of nasty gas. My doctor considered that i may be dealing with SIBO since i've had a naso-gastric infusion so i think that is why he gave me three courses of Rifaximine in three diferent months. After the first course of Rifaximine i felt improvement , started eating more foods , no more gas and gurgling (unless i eat yogurt or fermented foods , leafy greens , raw apples or watermellon ,or take probiotics).

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 pm

It took me a long time to "feel right" after an FMT. For me, it was not a miracle cure, but I slowly improved.

Best of luck.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am

For those of you that Xifaxan was rough on your system, how was it rough, and did you start to see any improvement while you were on it or only after you finished it?

My only symptoms are constant D and urgency no matter what I eat. It makes me a little worried that bacterial overgrowth might not be what's wrong with me since I have very little gas. It's almost as if stool passes through me too quickly to produce gas.

Return to “Treatments”