Pepto Bismol and other stuff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
davef
New User

Postby davef » Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:06 pm

My first GI doctor (not Lamont) told me to use Pepto. Imodium stops spasms of the intestine to reduce diarrhea, but Pepto (Bismuth) has some kind of bacteria killing effect that is mild. That's why Imodium is considered "newer technology", because it slows the digestive tract thereby increasing water absorbtion (reducing diarrhea). In CD, I think this is BAD cause the stool stays in you longer and that's NOT what you want. The old fashioned Pepto (Bismuth) just coats, and has some antibacterial effect. <BR> <BR>So the old fashioned way of stopping diarrhea works best... Pepto, Bananas, bready stuff. I also think eating more is better than less... push it through the system. Add MetaMucil or other soluble fiber to that to bulk it up. Bulky, frequent stools with fiber will drag the toxin and bacteria with it (I believe). Plus at least 2-3 litres of water per day to stay hydrated. By naturally cleasing your colon by pushing solid (fiber) stool through it, you can get on a path to restoring normal flora by dragging out the cdiff bacteria. Add a probiotic like Culturelle and eat Yogurt too, to replenish the good bacteria. <BR> <BR>My only tweak to that is in my case, I found the liquid Pepto useful, but the tablets not. Plus I posted a web site at one point about CD in senior citizen facilities where they recommended Pepto too. <BR> <BR>Of course, this is just my experience... see your doctor.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:27 pm

I took activated charcoal tablets for 5 weeks, in high doses. I've been symptom free for at least 3 of those 5 weeks and now for the past 2 weeks. I've taken the charcoal only one day a week as a preventive since doing my 5 week intensive dosing. Symptom free with charcoal. Makes sense. It's used to remove bacteria from water system. We'll see if I stay symptom free. Charcoal is in Pepto. Maybe that's why it's a "cure". <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'ruthie']

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:04 pm

I, like many c-diff sufferers, am also dealing with acid reflux. I've tried pepto bismol along with the usual array of products out there. Just wanted to remind everyone that pepto, among others, is binding, so you want to try to allow 2 hours on either side of taking your meds so it doesn't have a negative impact on absorption of your meds.

Return to “Treatments”