Difficid vs. Tapered Vanco

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
STS-0
Regular User

Difficid vs. Tapered Vanco

Postby STS-0 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:01 pm

I am on my 4th relapse of CDiff, all three prior episodes treated with 2 weeks of Vanco. My doctor is giving me the option of trying Dificid or trying tapered Vanco. Which is the better option? (I don't care about expense, I care about being cured.)

Thanks!

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Difficid vs. Tapered Vanco

Postby Musings » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm

I would go with the dificid. It's the only treatment specifically designed for c. diff.

~Lauren

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I would absolutely choose Dificid. I took it in April 2016 after a failed Flagyl and Vanco.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 pm

How did it work for you AnxiousJ? And how quick was it? Haha..

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm

So far (knock on wood), I have been negative since last April. Just an FYI though I did have some D while on it and was very worried it wasn't working and was told to finish it. I tested two weeks after I completed it and was negative. I did and do have some mild IBS now.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Did the D stop eventually? Also, how did they test you afterward? My doctor says they can't test solid stool for C. Diff.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 pm

They don't test solid stool to stop over treatment of c. diff. People can have c. diff (carriers/colonized) but without having an active infection (primary symptom - watery diarrhea) they should not take antibiotics and/or get a FMT. Testing for a cure is not recommended in the treatment of c. diff.

~Lauren

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm

So if you're proven C. Diff recurrent, once you are finished with a course of antibiotics, would you rather:

A. Go ahead and test your solid stool to make sure it's really gone this time.
B. Wait until you're fully reinfected for the umpteenth time and have to start all over again at ground zero, possibly with a stronger, more antibiotic-resistant strain of C. Diff.

Yeah, I'd rather go with option A. Thanks.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Over treating can cause a relapse. If you are having solid stool and treat regardless, you could actually be causing the recurrence of c. diff so yes would recommend until symptoms show that there is an active case of c.diff that testing and/or treatment occur.

~Lauren

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm

It's almost impossible to eradicate asymptomatic c.diff. The meds are worse than the infection and can cause it to go full blown.
If people were tested for E Coli almost everyone on earth would test positive.
All those bugs that POTENTIALY cause disease do not need treating if they are not causing symptoms.
Follow your Drs advice.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I have done both Tapers. A 3 month Vanco which I did relapse and a 3 month DIficid taper which cured me. I would go with Dificid.

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

I had a PCR done in May, June and Oct 2016 but that was just because I was dealing with IBS (still do sometimes) and wasn't sure if it was IBS or a possible relapse. I still have days even now a yr out where I have issues but I realize it is probably IBS. A few days later it usually gets better. I have been on Florastor 2x day for over a yr now and sometimes I wonder if it is just that the probiotic is keeping me okay.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 pm

You've had 4 episodes of c diff and lots of Vanco. I would definitely go with Dificid, bit I would ask for a Dificid taper. After 4 bouts and weeks of Vanco, a person's gut likely needs more time than a regular Dificid course to build up their own healthy flora and keep from having another recurrence. Dificid was a Godsend for my daughter. She did a Dificid taper after she recurred twice on Flagyl and twice on Vanco. It worked.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Well I took my first Dificid dose tonight. Crossing my fingers. He only has me on 14 days though. Did you guys all do 2x a day?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Take a look under CDI, I believe someone listed a 30 day taper there. Remember, that is a taper. I would look it up and contact your GI about it.

I was on a much longer taper but it probably was not necessary. There have been many posters who have done a 30 day taper and done great!

NanciT

Return to “Treatments”