Possible Treatment for PI-IBS

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Musings
Regular Contributor

Possible Treatment for PI-IBS

Postby Musings » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Had my yearly gynocologist appointment today and explained to my doctor about my bout with c. diff and how I am still dealing with PI-IBS. She recommended taking 1/2 teaspoon daily (mixed in water) of L-glutamine powder. She explained that most GI doctors do not know about it but a surgeon from Brigham and Women's in Boston did a lot of research and explains it helps build up the amino acids/building blocks of the GI wall of the short bowel.

I am going to start trying this and will report its effects.

~Lauren

PattieF
Regular User

Re: Possible Treatment for PI-IBS

Postby PattieF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Please do!

mka
New User

Postby mka » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello there!! I am almost 2 weeks out from 14 days of vancomycin and am still have odd stools (not watery but not solid..SORRY for the TMI)! I am praying this is just IBS and not a relapse waiting to happen! Was hoping to find out if your Gynovoligist's recommendation helped?! Thank you so much for your help!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:06 am

Over the years, there have been several posters who took L-glutamine. I tried it and did not find it did much for me, but it did help some others. Be careful not to take too much (read the label). I know people can get problems and have side effects if they take too much, but I guess that is true of any supplement. My GI did know about it and said it was fine to do.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am

It did seem to help me some but honestly can't say if it was the supplement or just natural healing taking place at that point. As Beth said, be careful on dosage and make sure you drink plenty of water with it as well.

~Lauren

mka
New User

Postby mka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks so much for your advice and help. At this point I'm willing to try almost anything and will give it a shot. My symptoms (frequent stools with lots of strange whitish seeds, nausea, belching, cramping, loss of appetite - all of which are worse in the morning) are very similar to that which I experienced prior to being diagnosed with C Diff and before the 2 weeks of Vanc. Not sure what is going on but I sure appreciate the help and hopefully can fins my way to the other side of this one day! Hope y'all are doing well and thank you again!

Return to “Treatments”