What is the protocol for vanco after 2nd relapse?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Rane
Contributor

What is the protocol for vanco after 2nd relapse?

Postby Rane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:32 pm

First off, I'm not saying I have c diff again despite the having the exact same symptoms as last time but I just want to be prepared just in case. I'm starting to have d but it's not watery. I honestly think the florastor and other probiotics are the only thing keeping me from getting it extremely bad.

What is the protocol for vanco if you have 2nd relapse? I heard that each time you get c diff it becomes harder to treat. Should my doctor pulse dose or should I just go straight to dificid?

Please don't lecture me about asymptomatic c diff. I almost died last time, tested positive, and vanco was the only thing that I got better on. Maybe I should have just let it go for the benefit of medical literature.

roy
Administrator

Re: What is the protocol for vanco after 2nd relapse?

Postby roy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:43 pm

If you get c.diff 2 years after your last diagnosis your Drs will consider it a brand new infection, not a relapse.
Protacol would suggest it's not the same strain.
That means starting treatment from scratch.
Flagyl, vanco, vanco taper, dificid, FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:53 am

Personally, if I got a full blown infection, I would try Dificid. I did not do well with vanco and would relapse the moment I got off. I also did not feel well on it. Dificid, if given initially has a better rate for patients not to relapse. I tested positive last year, but symptoms subsided pretty much. However, I filled the Rx for Dificid and took it along with me when I went on vacation. I still have the bottle and that would be my first choice.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 am

Agree with Beth , Dificid should be the first line of treatment , unfortunately doctor are not prescribing it.

Return to “Treatments”