Saccharomyces Boulardii

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:20 pm

ok my mom just was given Augmentin for 21 days!! For a sinus infection. Isn't that alot? <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Diane']

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Remember that extensive use of antibiotics also allows supergrowth of candida albicans in the intestines, which, if left unchecked by probiotic reballancing, can lead to candida overgrowth and invasion of the blood stream in its mycelial form. <BR> <BR>I have had candidiaosis after extended antibiotics for a TB infection. I treated it with a probiotic mixture of three bacteria specially encapsulated to pass safely through the stomach acid. The commercial product is called "Threelac" and is supplied by a company called Nature's Turn. The result was very positive and I am now on a 'holding dose' to ensure that my symbiotic bacteria stay in healthy numbers. <BR> <BR>A product also supplied as a supplementary treatment is 'oxygen granules' which helps prevent any anaerobic areas remaining in the colon. I could not understand why this helped so much, but it is possible that along with candida albicans, C. difficile also takes advantage of the antibiotic holocaust and the 'oxygen granules' work by making the environment even more allien for C. difficile. <BR> <BR>It is quite possible that the regime for candida albicans recovery is simultaneously effective against C. difficile. Conversely, people infected with C. difficile may also be hosting candida albicans and are in need of a therapy which displaces both of these opportunistic pathogens at the same time. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'DerekSmith']

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Augmentin is terrible for causing c diff. There are much better alternatives for sinus infections (including Avelox, and Zithromax). Of course any antibiotic can cause cdiff and they are all a gamble, but some are less so than others. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'JBB']

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:54 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Francesca? I hope she is doing better! <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Stephanie']

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:21 pm

thanks Everyone <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Diane']

Return to “Treatments”