Colloidal Silver

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:30 am

Anyone heard of or tried Colloidal Silver? I was just e-mailed info on it from friends who I contacted asking for prayer support. From what their info said, it sounds promising - I'm interested in more info. I'll do more of a search on the 'net myself next week when I'm again off work for a few days. But, if you have info, please add it. Thanks! <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Mary']

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:04 pm

Ran across this accidentally on MSNBC.Com about Colloidal Silver: <BR> <BR>"The Center for Disease Control describes the benefits of colloidal silver as a myth, and studies have shown it actually can have dreadful side effects, including turning skin a concrete gray color. <BR> Clelandy says the FTC has recently brought two actions against Web sites making exaggerated claims about the powers of colloidal silver, and it is looking at other other sites making such claims." <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:18 pm

Thanks Lauren! <BR> <BR>Excellent info. Again, Colloidal Silver is a heavy metal. Too much of a heavy metal can be a bad thing. C. Silver isn't natural in the body like acidophilus or s. boulardii either. I'd tend to go with the more natural stuff first if I was going to try any supplement. <BR> <BR>Sam <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Sam']

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:21 am

Has anyone tried colloidal silver enemas or oral. Colloidal silver is supposed to kill anaerobic bacteria. I have been taking it orally since the first relapse and have now done two enemas of it. I am willing to try anything. I had no symtoms but being tired while on Flagyl. Then it came right back. I have been on Vanco and am being pulsed now, I have no symtoms on Vanco except soft stools and only two or three per day. I did the enema on my off day. The nightmare stories on this site have caused me to want to cure it in the first Vanco session at any cost. Please let me know what you think. <BR>Thanks to this site I am better informed than most new c diff sufferers. Also, my doctor recognized the c diff within two weeks of the first antibiotics. But, I had to go in three times to make him acknowledge that it was something serious. He wanted to shrug the diahrea and sickness off. I pushed hard and demanded tests in that second week. But. he knew about c diff and I did not, so his knowledge got the correct test taken. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Donna']

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:06 pm

I posted this before on October 19 - see topic "Colloidal Silver": <BR> <BR>"Ran across this accidentally on MSNBC.Com about Colloidal Silver: <BR> <BR>"The Center for Disease Control describes the benefits of colloidal silver as a myth, and studies have shown it actually can have dreadful side effects, including turning skin a concrete gray color. <BR>Clelandy says the FTC has recently brought two actions against Web sites making exaggerated claims about the powers of colloidal silver, and it is looking at other other sites making such claims." " <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:06 am

Found this in the Washington Post today and thought I'd add it in to the cautions about colloidal silver: <BR> <BR>By Don Oldenburg <BR>Washington Post Staff Writer <BR>Wednesday, March 27, 2002; Page C12 <BR> <BR>"Flu symptoms are history!" The recent spam's claim was matched in boldness only by the e-mail's gaudy green background. Boost your immune system, it promised: "Protect yourself and your family against any and all infections, germs, fungi, bacteria and viruses." <BR> <BR>Like a growing number of unsolicited e-mails that cram people's in-boxes daily with electronic tripe, this boldfaced sales pitch was peddling yet another questionable product. In this case, it was an over-the-counter medical solution called "colloidal silver," or CS, whose scientifically unproven cure-all claims pass only the too-good-to-be-true test. <BR> <BR>This particular spam's hyperlink connected to "Nature's Cure," a Web site that has since vanished. But dozens of commercial sites like it continue to promote the so-called miracles of colloidal silver, typically describing it as "nature's most powerful antibiotic" and "an amazing all-natural nonprescription antibiotic that's sweeping the nation." <BR> <BR>Most of the sites and spams promoting this fluid -- made from a small amount of silver particles suspended in distilled water -- read as if they were lifted from the same broadsheet. "Because no known disease-causing organism can live in the presence of colloidal silver, it can be effective in killing more than 650 different disease-causing pathogens," they claim. <BR> <BR>The product costs $10 to $20 for eight ounces. People usually drink the mixture, or spray or dab it on external conditions. Among the more than 100 diseases and pathogens CS supposedly cures or kills: acne, appendicitis, herpes, tuberculosis, enlarged prostate, gonorrhea, high blood pressure, typhoid, E. coli, staph infections, whooping cough and warts. A few months ago, promoters spammed it as a treatment for anthrax. <BR> <BR>Like so many quack alternative treatments, there is a kernel of truth in these claims. CS was widely used for treating colds and syphilis before World War II but lost its medical footing with the advent of antibiotics. By the early '90s, CS began reappearing as a food supplement and over-the-counter drug, mostly on the Internet. But, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the medical claims are unsubstantiated. <BR> <BR>"Colloidal silver is banned," says FDA spokeswoman Laura Bradbard, explaining that to sell it in an over-the-counter or prescription drug, the product would have to pass FDA new-drug approval that requires clinical proof it is safe and effective. <BR> <BR>In 1997 the feds began putting the squeeze on CS sellers, requiring them to put up proof or shut down. In '99, they prohibited marketing colloidal silver as a remedy because drinking the solution turns skin bluish gray -- permanently. Since then, because selling CS still proliferates online, the FDA has taken dozens of actions against dealers. "It is not considered safe or effective for any use or ailment," says Bradbard. <BR> <BR>Meanwhile, some online sellers have found a silver lining: Instead of selling CS, they continue to promote its miraculous health benefits and sell only colloidal silver generators for home-brewing CS. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lauren']

Colloidal Silver

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:13 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the documented health dangers of any use of colloidal silver, we have and will continue to delete any posts promoting its use which appear on this site. For more information, please read the preceding messages.

Return to “Treatments”