Treatment For Ulcer Post C.diff

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
JennaC
Brand New Poster

Treatment For Ulcer Post C.diff

Postby JennaC » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi all!

I was diagnosed at 24, with c.diff in March 2014, after taking clindamycin. I had a successful recovery a few months later! This board helped me a lot when I was struggling. I'm going to the doctor this Wednesday because I'm pretty sure I have a stomach ulcer. I was wondering what you all would recommend to prevent a relapse? I've not taken antibiotics since c.diff and I'm nervous.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Treatment For Ulcer Post C.diff

Postby NanciT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello JennaC and Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters.

So happy you were able t beat this in a few months and have been doing well!! Whatever your current symptoms are, explain our concern to your GI.
Often antibiotics are NOT required for many illnesses. The most important thing is to explain your concerns to your MD
Wishing you the best
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 pm

You may just have acid reflux in which case antibiotics are not given. Make sure to have proof that you have an infection before agreeing to any antibiotics. H pylori is a bacteria that can cause ulcers, but there is a breath test to see if you have it.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 pm

I got C diff from taking the H pylori treatment, so it's not something I'd recommend. I'd want to try Pepcid or Zantac for a while to see if that was enough to fix the problem.

JennaC
Brand New Poster

Postby JennaC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 am

I'm going in with a list of symptoms and a mental checklist of different things I want done before taking antibiotics. I'm that particular, thorough, patient a lot of doctors dread. After being told I most likely had the stomach flu, when I went in to be tested for c.diff, I've become really skeptical. GERD, is something else I've thought of but my symptoms match up more with a duodenal ulcer, they also run in my family. I'm just nervous about possible antibiotic treatment that will come along with that.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 am

Stomach ulcers are often treated with combinations of anticids ,acid blockers (histamine blockers) and PPI , and if the ulcer is due to H Pylori a antibiotic is also required. Giving your Cdiff history , you should go look for a good GI that can treat your ulcer with meds that do not put you at high risk.

Return to “Treatments”