Dificid

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
nickii52
Contributor

Dificid

Postby nickii52 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Can anyone refer me to a doctor that deals with Dificid taper in California. Already had 3 FMT done without antibiotics before procedure and they all failed. Would appreciate any help that can be given thank you in advance.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dificid

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:53 pm

Dr Neil Stollman, Oakland. He is excellent, I did wait a long time to get into see him but that was 2 years ago. He does FMT's and I imagine he would also prescribe Dificid of you explained your history. If you are going out of Kaiser, you are allowed to get a 2nd opinion and they should cover it. You may want to look into it.
Wishing you the best
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:38 am

The people who have success with FMT take a course of meds before the procedure to kill the active C diff before getting the infusion to replenish the good bacteria. I'm surprised your doctor didn't have you take vanco or even flagyl for 10 days before the procedure.

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 am

I know that's why need to change doctors Nancy did you go see Dr. Stollman he is taking new patients I'm going to Medicare come March I'm on antibiotics until March 1 so I need to find a doctor soon

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:02 am

I'm shocked they did FMT on you without meds beforehand?? I had a successful FMT in November and took a round of Vanco beforehand. My doctor won't do the procedure without a round of meds prior, as it is important to kill as much of the active C Diff as possible to let the new bacteria colonize and take care of some of the spores that may hang around. Introducing new bacteria into full blown active C Diff gives them no chance of survival. I live in Florida, but I loved my Dr! Dr. Joseph in Port Charlotte

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:50 am

I also had my FMT with no meds prior to it and I knew it's wrong, my doctor didn't feel like it is necessary and I belive that is the reason why my FMT failed. You should definitely take a course of meds before the FMT otherwise the pathogen flora will defeat the good guys.

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am

I agree with you and antibiotic should be taken before the procedure still doing research on this so I can prove it to the doctor i'm also checking on Dr. Neil Stollman to see if he's taking new patients

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 am

I did see Dr. Stollman but it took 4 months, this was in 2014 so it may be different now. Another option is Dr. Anderson Rowe in San Ramon. I have not seen him but know many patients who have. He does FMT's now so he is familiar with CDIFF.
As far as Medicare, you may be able to get a list from them of GI's in your area. I would write up a complete history of date of diagnosis and all treatments you have had including your current symptoms.

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:32 pm

I can get into see Dr. stollman trying to work out the insurance portion with the office and needing to find out regular doctor that will refer me to him every doctor that I know needs a referral but I'll check out the other doctor also thank you

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 am

I got my appointment with Dr. Stollman on March 2 I am a static to finally be in the hands of somebody who knows what I'm talking about his office staff is very friendly and very helpful thank you for all your help on this site is great and has a lot of information

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:47 am

Glad you can see Dr.Stollman he is a pioneer in FMT , hope he will put an end on your Cdiff issues for good.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 am

Very happy you have an appointment with Dr. Stollman. You can also ask the office staff to put you on their cancellation list. They will call if something opens up sooner. He is very knowledgeable about CDIFF and also very kind and compassionate!
NanciT

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm

I went for 2nd opinion today and hebafreed to put me on dificid he doesnt know anything about taper but advised that some where put on 14 days and than 1 pill for the rest of the month and he agreed. He called it a chaser? I need to finish vanco for 14 days than start dificid what are the major side effects

Thanks

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Chaser,taper,pulse.
All the same type of thing with a Dr thinking outside the box!
Not sure that going straight from vanco to dificid is a great idea though.
If symptoms (Full on D) return then yes, but ANYTHING other than that can be normal recovery.
NO med just switches off C.diff.
The cure depends on the recovery of your gut flora and that starts the day you finish c.diff meds

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:01 pm

They want to do a taper on Vanco for two months that's why we are switching over to try not to destroy the good flora in my stomach I also have kidney disease that vanco can make worse since test came back with high levels showing Kidney are working harder this is the fourth relapse on Vanco taper

Return to “Treatments”