Fatigue and Chills - Treatment

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
DawMa95
Regular User

Fatigue and Chills - Treatment

Postby DawMa95 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I was diagnosed with CDiff over one year ago. I am still experiencing extreme fatigue and chills. Can anyone out there tell me what you did to overcome the fatigue and chills? I would love to hear about holistic, natural remedies, herbs, and perhaps any form of exercise/ meditation that helped to minimize these symptoms or curbed them completely.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fatigue and Chills - Treatment

Postby NanciT » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Are you still being treated for CDIFF or has it resolved?

Fever and chills may be something else entirely. There is a nasty flu going around right now. You may want to treat this as the flu unless there are other symptoms. Monitor your fever and see how you are in 48hrs.

Take Care
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:58 am

Have you been tested for Vit D , Vit B12 blood levels. I do not know about where the chills come from , but the fatigue can be due to low levels of Vit d and B12 , most of Cdiff-ers have been left deficient in those.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:41 am

You can get chills with low thyroid. It has happened to me. I would get the tests that Georgina suggested and also have your thyroid checked.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I agree with the others. I would get a complete bloodwork done that checks for everything - standard counts, deficiencies, anemia, thyroid, lyme, etc.

DawMa95
Regular User

Postby DawMa95 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I have no fever, in fact, I didn't even when the infection was at its worst my temperature was below 98.6 typically around 97.2. I'm extremely fatigued (sleeping 10-11 hours per day) and get weird body chills/ sensations mostly in my legs and feet and mostly at night. I've been to every doctor under the sun (GP, Neurologist, G.I., Endocrinologist, Rheumatologist, and Infectious Disease). Everyone kept referring me out because the burning was "atypical", according to them. I know that it is not anxiety as this has been over a year now on a daily basis (some days worse than others). I also believe that it is somehow infection related whether a current infection, aftermath of it, or a result of the Flagyl/ Vanco.

I had a full metabolic panel taken when I was first diagnosed with CDiff and then had other blood tests done during the months following. The only deficiency was Vitamin D3. I now take 10,000 IU daily. I had a sonogram of my thyroid and bloodwork corresponding to that (all showing up normal). I was tested for Lyme, Lupus, and several other infectious diseases including some that were way out there. My antibodies for Epstein-Barr were high, but the doctor told me that it just meant that I was exposed to the virus at some point. Aside from that, roughly 90% of the population is walking around with Epstein-Barr; however, most are asymptomatic.

I haven't had a stool test in quite some time; however, my bowel movements are all over the place from soft, smelly, and pastey to hard and lumpy. Generally speaking I only have one or two bowel movements per day now, but I'm left with other symptoms that I had while CDiff was at its worst. I typically experience burning sensations under my skin (face, legs, feet, and internally in my buttocks), loss of appetite, fatigue, and nausea. Should I get retested? Do some people have CDiff lingering even with only 1-2 bowel movements a day despite what some of the literature says? It's frustrating because I was eating healthy and had an active lifestyle before all of this happened.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:48 am

Some people do get long lasting effects from Flagyl, but I assume you have discussed this with your doctors. 10,000 units of vitamin D3 is a lot. I would re-test to make sure you are not overdoing it. I was taking 2,000 units per day and my count went very high and I had to stop.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I recently had a D attack, and right before, I was shivering with chills. I had no fever. I also had severe chills with no fever with c-diff. I would shake uncontrollably and just couldn't get warm. After this recent attack, I started to do a little research online, and I did read that when you have a GI attack of some sort, it can affect your nervous system. I am not a doctor, so this is something that you can ask your doctor to see if it's fact. The funny thing is that after I went to the bathroom during this recent attack, my chills were gone.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm

You could be dealing with chronic Epstein Barr infection, but it will be a real challenge to find a doctor to treat it. Dr Martin Lerner pioneered using antiviral meds to treat it at his center in MI. He passed away from old age but the center is still there.

http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.com/do ... ioners.pdf

Otherwise you could have a mast cell disorder. For diagnosing a mast cell disorder I would recommend Dr Afrin in MN or my wonderful doctor, Dr Philip Miner in Oklahoma City. It used to take months to get in to see Dr Miner as a new patient but he has moved to a smaller office and semi-retired so his name isn't as widely known any more, so you might get lucky and get in to see him sooner.

Solianne
New User

Postby Solianne » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 am

It seems that there's only antibiotic is the treatment for C. difficile..
Just read here https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2015 ... icile.html and it said "Patients who take antibiotics are most at risk for developing C. difficile infections. More than half of all hospitalized patients will get an antibiotic at some point during their hospital stay, but studies have shown that 30 percent to 50 percent of antibiotics prescribed in hospitals are unnecessary or incorrect. "

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm

This thread is a few months old.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:41 am

Solianne, I posted a welcome note to you in another thread and also realized that your posts are all attached to outdated threads. I am assuming it is because you are new so urge you to read the rules for posting. Also, you have not really addressed
c diff related issues so when you are ready feel free to share the c diff questions and experiences of you or your family members that brought you to this site so we may help.

Rita

Return to “Treatments”