Need some advice

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
tanya12
Contributor

Re: Need some advice

Postby tanya12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Well I just had a great visit with my new gp. She prescribed me some xanax to get through this. We talked about the entire beginning up,until now of this nightmare. We talked about whether or not the d episodes I had over the weekend were just from what I ate, a stomach bug, or the cdiff not being completely cleared. She said the positive toxin and Antigen test could have just been due to be just finishing flagyl nine days ago. She said at this point we will never know but said I should just finish the vancomyacin. I agreed but I just hate doing damage to my gut if not needed.. she told me I didn't need probiotics and to eat whatever I like and not to get paranoid if I have soft stool. She said it takes time.. she said everyone is different but it was awfully coincidental that I ate things I hadn't eaten in a while and then got the d, not to mention also my coworker had the stomach bug 4 days prior.
In any case, there is no going back . Trust me , I wouldn't even think of stopping the vancomycin but again, I hate to pump my body with unnecessary medicine and don't want to killlwhat is left of my good bacteria.
I also asked her if a glass of wine at Christmas would hurt,and she said no... not sure how I feel about that.
I just hope I can keep this positive loutlook up
She also said this would not considered to be a recurrence

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:45 pm

A glass of wine is almost certain to upset your gut!!!
Won't cause a relapse but 99% certain to kick off major IBS.
Have 2 bottles and you wont care!

Seriously though.
Booze is the last thing you want at this time in recovery.

tanya12
Contributor

Postby tanya12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Too funny. Think that's the hardest thing for me I'm not a raging alcoholic by any means but before this happened I enjoyed my glass of wine or two every night and I Miss it.I actually had a glass for nights after the Flagyl treatment actually had a glass Sunday night before my bout started. As I sit and think of my choices of food and drink and my hasty to move to go get retested, I wish I waited it out but being someone who always errs on the side of caution, it would've driven me crazy. I think I just need to stop what effing myself take this vancomycin and pray that's going to be the end of the cdiff. As I said tire though if all that was was a bout of IBS I hate the thought of taking 10 days of anabiotic's and killing more gut bacteria if it's not necessary

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:23 pm

If you drank wine a few days into recovery it's not surprising your gut reacted!
The damage c.diff toxins cause in your colon is similar to acid burns on your skin.
Imagine pouring alcohol on to acid burns!!!
It's probably going to be Easter before wine is back on the menu.

tanya12
Contributor

Postby tanya12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Are you saying the wine made the cdiff return??? This is all so new to me. I'm stilling wondering if I still tested positive for both toxin and antigen because I just finished treatment 9 days ago. Seems to be up in the air to whether or not I had an Citigroup infection this time or just ibs. In any case , I'll just continue to take the vancomycin and kill my gut bacteria more!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 pm

No, not made it return.
But it will contribute to serious IBS.
Testing positive is common after treatment and thats why the guidelines say do not test to try to prove it's gone.
You have to go by symptoms.
Problems arise if you assault your gut with irritants during recovery because you don't know if it's c.diff or the irritant.
Alcohol is a diuretic. (So is caffine)
It draws fluid into the colon.
That caused D in a healthy gut and in a recovering gut it can cause severe D.
You had a serious infection in the largest organ of your body.
You have to realise that even though you can not see the scars they are there and have to heal.
Finish your meds but do not jump back into party mode for several months.

tanya12
Contributor

Postby tanya12 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Thank you Roy. I started vanco last thursday , had two small bouts of d yesterday and one formed today. .not going to get all excited but, fingers crossed

Return to “Treatments”