Vanco pill side effect

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Wendye3
New User

Vanco pill side effect

Postby Wendye3 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum but I had positive cdiff test in August.I took vanco liquid form because it was cheaper. I had some ringing in my ears but really no other side effects. I tested positive again a few days ago,first relapse, and I've been on Vanco pill for three days. Starting to have swelling and face and hands and little itchy all over I don't know if there's any difference between the two ?maybe not related or I'm not drinking enough water has anyone had swelling with Vanco in any form?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco pill side effect

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:34 pm

If you are having swelling and itchy all over you need to call the doctor. People can develop allergies to any medication at any time so it's best to make that call and talk with them.

Think about any thing else you may have added to your diet, or changed any laundry detergent? Anything that you may have changed.
NanciT

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am

No I've changed nothing at home,I also have mouth blister. Dr said didn't think vanco side effect but that's not what I read online. Just wondering what side effects everyone had with this. I don't know anyone who has taken it before. I don't want to stop it but I can't take flagyl.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:51 am

Only a doctor can evaluate you with this. If you are having an allergic reaction to the vanco, you can discuss Dificid with your doctor as an alternative treatment. Dificid has a high cure rate and does not target any good gut bacteria. It's another option.

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 pm

My primary doctor sent me to my gastro that I see seldomly. She took me off of vancobecause of allergy and's not putting me on anything else. She was goingto put me on Dificid said then she thinks that I'm just colonize and not having symptoms I don't know what to do I'm really upset

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:01 am

You can have an allergic reaction to any drug, the issue here is if you still have CDIFF. How are your symptoms? I don't know how long you were on Vanco.
If you continue to have D several times a day, call the GI back. It really gets down to the symptoms you are having.
Feel better soon
Nancit

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:59 am

Having Crohn's really complicates it. most of us always have loose stools.But when you have it long enough you can tell when you eat something bad, when you're sick with the flu just didn't feel right. I had only been on Vanco about three days I had about the think 13 or 14 doses and that's all. I understand it can be colonized but this came on suddenly and I had a positive test so I don't understand how they can take a gamble with my health like that and say I don't need anything

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am

Wendye3
You may want to consider another GI opinion. I would say Infectious disease but with the history of Crohns it does complicate things and also your treatment for CDIFF.
I know that can be difficult to do but may be worth it. I changed a few times over the months, had never in the past with any doctor.
You may also want to keep a diary of your current symptoms, if you find you are still having lots of D and unwell, call the GI back. With your history, I would not let this go too long.
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:41 pm

I'd find another GI.

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:40 am

I followed up with my primary who originally gave me the Vanco. Even though she said I shouldnt I got the red man face,red man syndrome a rash I felt so bad on it. It worked for me the first time with a liquid form. I am now starting Dificid so I hope it's OK I've never had it before. And yes I have an appointment this week with the G.I. doctor. It's hard with having the Crohns disease also. I was able to get a coupon for the Dificid still $400 but 4000 that's ridiculous.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:06 am

Agree , the price is too much for some of us to afford but if you have the chance to take it , do so , it's a great drug and it's superior to vanco and it may be your magic bullet.

Return to “Treatments”