Experiences with Dificid

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Musings
Regular Contributor

Experiences with Dificid

Postby Musings » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 am

On day 3 of Dificid after relapsing after a 10 day course of flagyl and then a 10 day course of vanco.

My current concern is that my GI wants to do a colonoscopy if I don't show an improvement on Dificid but have heard that some people did not start really getting better until after finishing the medication. Was hoping to hear people's experiences with Dificid - when they saw improvement, their course, etc.

My Dificid treatment plan is the standard 10 day course but going to ask my GI about a taper and see if she will agree.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Experiences with Dificid

Postby amg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi there,
My daughter's episodes of c diff all consisted of several symptoms that allowed us to be sure it was a relapse - looser stools with urgency and frequency, M, puffy abdomen, pale face, weak and tired, mild fevers/chills, and progressing in her symptoms not waxing and waning. The only time she had watery D was the initial episode when we didn't get on top of it right away.

Her stools never returned to fully firm on Vanco, and they got better but still not quite normal with Flagyl. But with Dificid, within 2 doses or so, they firmed up nicely and the frequency decreased, and they became pretty normal during the course (I'd say within a couple days we wouldn't have known she had c diff).

She has mild post-recovery IBS consisting of cramping in the mornings after breakfast, can last a few hours. But most days nothing at all. She's kept her diet pretty bland, and has very slowly been adding new foods. It mostly consists of chicken, corn tortillas, rice, peanut butter sandwiches, Bubbie's probiotic pickles, kefir, apples/pears/strawberries/blueberries, peas and squash for veggies, protein bars, trail mix. Watermelon gave her cramps.

We really think the taper of Dificid allowed her intestinal flora time to repopulate, especially because this all started with an appendectomy with IV antibiotics (and some think the appendix stores your good flora to repopulate after an illness which alters it) and the multiple courses of flagyl and vanco kept messing with her flora. She's 22 days out from her last Dificid pill and feeling really good! Good luck to you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:06 pm

I was on it for the initial 10 days with no issues but then did have a relapse after several weeks. Went on a long 3 month taper, during that time I had difficulty with abdominal pain, BM's all over and just did not feel well...but it cured me! It is very expensive and the only reason I was able to get that taper is my GI did not do FMT's and could not find anyone who was doing them at the time(2014).
Some do great on the 10 day course, wishing you the best!
NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:06 pm

On day 6 of the Dificid now. Having a lot of gas and rumbling/noisy stomach and mild cramps. Only went once yesterday but up to 4 today though they appear to be better formed. Hope this is all "normal" while on Dificid.

Return to “Treatments”