Vanco or Dificid?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
KathM05
New User

Vanco or Dificid?

Postby KathM05 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:28 pm

So I just found out that I still have C diff. This is the second time Ive had it this year and they gave me Flagyl again and it didn't work this time. I have had Vancomycin through an IV a few years ago and I got violently ill. I was going through cancer treatments at the time and that Vanco got me more sick then any chemo I had ever had. My doc said he would probably prescribe me Vanco oral. I wonder if that would be less severe then the IV method. Or should I just try Dificid? I have never been on that so I have no clue how I would feel on it. Has anyone tried Dificid? How did it work?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Vanco or Dificid?

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:48 pm

I already answered you in another forum. Pls do not post the same thing in multiple forums,

Read the first forum. It contains the rules re posting on this site.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:35 am

I'd go for Dificid if you can.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:57 am

I would go with the Dificid as well. It targets the c difficile and sprares more good flora.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:56 am

Another vote for Dificid. Dificid was engineered specifically for C.diff. It only kills clostridium so it leaves the other gut flora alone so they can continue to do their job. Fidaxomicin (dificid) stops the toxin formation so the toxins can't do more gut damage. It kills only clostridium, so it leaves the other intestinal bacteria in place to continue doing their jobs. It also stops the sporing process of the C.diff so the dificid can actually kill more C.diff bacteria. (nothing can "kill" spores, which is why the fact dificid stops the sporing process is so important

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:04 pm

I can't take Flagyl and I had a reaction to Vanco. My doctor prescribed Dificid but my insurance won't cover. The cost to me would be $4000 does anyone know how to get insurance to pay or had any issues with her insurance finally covering it is my first recurrence I had the initial episode in August 2016

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Windye3

Look up Dificid online, contact them. They have an assistance program.
NanciT

Return to “Treatments”