Florastor/Sacc.Boulardii

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 29, 2001 11:25 pm

hi!--great to hear some info about sacchomyces boulardii---I found a company called jarrow that sells it in 310 mg capsules--unfortunately no info about how much to take when fighting c. diff. would like to find dose info. to help rid myself of it. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'bob']

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:13 pm

Hi Bob: <BR>I posted this info somewhwere but now I can't find it myself so here it is again. According to Lynn McFarland Ph.D she suggested 1000 mg per day while on Vanco or Flagyl and to continue taking Florastor for 1 month afterwards. She's partial to Florastor because she worked as a researcher at Biocodex and studied Florastor extensively. She explained to me that Florastor has much better quality control and that their capsules contain much more live yeast compared to the Jarrow brand. Since I already had the Jarrow brand she suggested I take it with the Florastor so not to waste it so that is what I am doing. Florastor is kind of pricey but if it works it's well worth it. One box is $20.00 and each capsule is 50 mg so if you take according to Dr. McFarland's instructions you'll be taking 20 capsules per day(1/2 box)Another researcher at Biocodex suggested I take 500 mg per day(1/4 box).My own GI also suggested Florastor. Dr. Borody suggested I take as much Florastor as I could. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Jarrow brand because I don't know if it is weaker than Florastor I'm just going on what doctors are suggesting. One intersting thing...the Jarrow brand doesn't smell like anything whereas the Florastor brand has a pungent yeast/live smell about it. <BR> <BR>I've been taking approximately 500 mg per day. I started taking Florastor 2 weeks ago with Metronidazole(Flagyl) and I'm finished with the Metro but am continuing to take 2-3 Culturelle capsules per day and 500 mg(10 capsules)Florastor per day and eating at least one yogurt per day. I tend to take these supplements morning, noon and night. If I take too many at one time I tend to feel bloated and gassy. <BR> <BR>I feel much better but I know it is too soon to tell. My left abdominal pain has gone away, fever has dropped to almost normal and stools are almost normal. You can order Florastor from Capital Drugs in W.Hollywood, CA <BR>800-819-9098 <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Francesca']

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Dorothy posted this info. Thx.

Pam,
When I had some questions about Florasor I called a pharmacy called Newton-Timmerman in Manhattan and spoke with a pharmacist named Martin. That was in 2004, so I'm not even sure if he works there anymore, but he was very knowledgable about Florastor and c-diff, and very patient and willing to help. I had gotten the name fo the pharmacy from this board and called 411 for the #. I don't want to post it, because I don't have their permission, but I'm sure you can get it. Martin told me that all of the pharmacists there knew a lot about c-diff, and I'm not really sure why, but he certainly seemed to know what he was talking about. They used to ship Florastor out to sell by mail when it was really hard to find.
Hope this helps!

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Tng contributed this. Thanks, Tng!

I wanted to help with a suggestion about obtaining Florastor- in the Treatments- Florastor thread- here is my response to the thread-

I've been taking 500 mg for two weeks and can't tell if it is helping or not. i am also taking Flagyl and Vancomycin. I have had 2 relapses and I am on Vanco for another month. I've purchased the Biocodex Florastor from this website, which seems to have fair prices: http://organicpharmacy.org/products/Flo ... LORASTOR50

Return to “Treatments”