My mama needs help.

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
jmerenee
Brand New Poster

My mama needs help.

Postby jmerenee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:50 am

My mama has been through hell, since February. She contacted Cdiff while on a vacation in Las Vegas and it has been a complete battle ever since (3 hospitalizations, on and off vanco/flagyl). We FINALLY found a dr to do FMT at the end of July (I was her donor) and she truly had 3.5 months of bliss. Last week she came down with a UTI and her general dr put her on Cipro!!! and her GI added Vanco for 5 days. Long story short, it's back and we are devastated. I wish I would have known more about Cipro before it was prescribed but I trusted in the docs. NOW, the GI doc is NOT suggesting another FMT--they are putting her on vanco for 21 days. We are heartbroken--any suggestions? Should we try to find another that will do FMT right away? It's very apparent that she does not respond to vanco, I have no idea why he's doing this.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: My mama needs help.

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Welcome to the site - Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro and testing info.

I am so sorry to hear that your mom is going through this. It's terrible that she was prescribed cipro knowing her c-diff history. Have you discussed using Dificid as treatment, instead of vanco? Dificid has a high cure rate and does not kill good gut bacteria. Many were successful with Dificid tapers after vanco tapers failed. It's another option before doing another FMT, if an FMT is not currently possible. But I definitely would recommend seeking a GI that will do an FMT, considering that she has had one in the past.

I hope that she feels better soon.
Lisa

jmerenee
Brand New Poster

Postby jmerenee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks so much Lisa, I do not believe we have tried the other med--I'm trying to get her dr to call me back but I'm on Day 2 and haven't had luck (though I'm on her list to discuss medical issues with her). Does anyone know if a 2nd FMT is possible right away or is it best to have 21 days on vanco before doing the 2nd FMT?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

I don't have experience with FMTs, so someone who does, will definitely chime in. But, I'm almost positive that you have to be on the vanco up to 2 days before the procedure.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:25 pm

I am so sorry your Mom has had a reoccurrence. I also would speak with the GI about Difcid. There may be time required before having another FMT. Most need to be on medication before FMT so you may consider Dificid.
For future reference, I also had UTI's post CDIFF. My urologist always did a culture and sensitivities and at times would not treat to do the risk. The sensitivities also will give a list of antibiotics that will clear the infection if necessary. Under CDI we have a list of the "safer" antibiotics. Unfortunately, none are 100%.

We have posters who have had two FMT's, hopefully they will jump in here.
I hope your Mom feels better soon
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm

You have to take vanco or Dificid before FMT.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:19 pm

How old is your mom?
Whats her previous and current symptoms?
I doubt if being in Vegas has anything to do with a c.diff infection!
If it's back another course of meds is correct according to the guidelines.
Is it a 3 week full dose or is she going to taper off?
Tapering has cured most of the long term posters here!!!
Vanco is standard but Dificid might be better.

If that fails it's another FMT but preceded by yet another 2 weeks of meds as a prep for the transplant.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:34 am

Many who have a FMT develop c diff after taking an antibiotic again.( It is not always a "forever" cure.) I am one.

It is important to try and stay away from antibiotics and other triggers after a bout of c diff. The trick is to insist docs do every test possible to determine if an antibiotic is necessary. For instance, an X-ray if pneumonia is suspected. Sensitivity cultures for UTIs. Macrobid is one of the few "safe" -antibiotics for UTIs and most can tolerate it. It is effective against most E. coli infections. The safest antibiotics are not broad spectrum like Cipro.

Good luck with your mother. She beat c diff once, and she will again. You are a wonderful advocate. Best to both of you.

jmerenee
Brand New Poster

Postby jmerenee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks all and my apologies Roy, I wasn't blaming Vegas but she had been on antibiotics the week before her trip out there and had to be hospitalized ( we live in KC).

She is 65 years old...

Is there a chance the Vanco taper will work and she won't need a 2nd fmt? Has that happened with anyone here?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 am

Yes, the vanco taper or pulse has worked for some including several of our moderators.

See CDI - Taperung and Pulsing - viewtopic.php?p=4770#p4770.

Best of luck.

Return to “Treatments”