FMT concern for young people

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
mjeanne
Brand New Poster

FMT concern for young people

Postby mjeanne » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 am

My daughter, who is 29yo, and I met with a FMT expert who is concerned about young people having this procedure as there are still many unknown risks with regards to what can happen in the years following this treatment. Most of the donors in her program are young and there is no way to know if they themselves might one day develop some neurological problem, like MS or alzheimer's or even obesity. It may have a high success rate, but at what cost? The doctor will do it on young people, but only if absolutely necessary.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT concern for young people

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:42 am

Hello and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc.

Has your daughter been battling c-diff for a while? How many rounds of treatment has she had? I think your concerns are very valid. If FMTs come with long term consequences, it is still unknown. I definitely think that most people use it as a last resort, after rounds and rounds of meds have failed. It does have a very high success rate, and the pros can definitely outweigh the unknown for many. From reading posts on this board, I do think that Dificid tapers have been the most successful type of treatment from a meds standpoint for stubborn cases after vanco tapers have failed. Dificid tapers, coupled with probiotics and in some cases Enteragram seem to be successful as the last try with meds step. If that doesn't work, I think the only choice for these posters is an FMT. I think that you have to discuss your concerns with your doctor and get to a level of comfort with what treatment plan to go with.

Whatever treatment you go with, I hope is the cure for your daughter.
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:15 am

That is one of the reasons I used my daughter as a donor. At least the DNA is very similar and some studies have shown that there is less IBS when you use a blood relative. In my case that was very true. I used my husband for the first one and had terrible IBS and SIBO afterwards. I am not young though, so the concern is less for me about getting something years down the road. I don't have as many years to go as someone who is your daughter's age. I'm sure there will be more information available in the future, but your concern is valid. However, there are people, like myself, who could not get rid of c difficile any other way and the physical damage that it did to me far outweighed any risk with the FMT. I didn't feel great after the FMT, but it was better than c difficile. Like any other treatment, whether it is chemotherapy, radiation, etc. there may be risks down the road. You have to discuss the pros and cons with your doctor and decide what is best in any given situation.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm having an fmt hopefully soon. I'm 33 years old. initiallu I was concerned about the potential long term effects of having someone else's unique biome populating my gut but I'm over it. I want to be rid of c diff so badly that I'm open to the unknown. I'm already prone to obesity and have to work hard to keep it in check. I already have bad anxiety. I'm allergic to practically everything. So who knows maybe I'll come out better than I was.
All I know is I want to be well and I want a chance to live my life again normally without all the fears and problems associatied with c diff.
The Chinese have been doing these for a long time and I truly believe that fmt is the future of medicine for several disorders. Watch in time and I'll bet you'll see it specially screened and matched to fix numerous illnesses, weight problems, and other disorders. Even allergies.
I'd rather have the fmt than recurrent c diff

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:23 am

They are already doing studies for stool transfers with UC, Crohn's, Parkinson's, MS, etc. If you don't get rid of the c diff, in my opinion, your immune system gets so run down that you have more chance to get other things and auto-immune diseases. If I have to do it again, I would. Taking all the vanco I did made me feel way worse than any FMT I have had. David, I would do the same thing if I were you. Maybe it will help your allergies. We had one poster who had Crohn's before she got c diff and FMT cured her of both.

Return to “Treatments”