Dificid followed by a vanco taper

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
kippyjim
New User

Dificid followed by a vanco taper

Postby kippyjim » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:23 pm

I have posted before about my mom and her c diff...well she had her 3rd relapse this past week, hospitalized for 4 days. They put her on dificid this time...sent us home from the hospital with a 10 day supply of dificid ... the followed up with a fairly long taper of vanco...i have searched the group for anyone else that has had dificid and then vanco but have'nt had success...is this something that is done frequently...she did vanco and flagyl both times previously.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dificid followed by a vanco taper

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:41 am

My understanding of Dificid is that it kills lots less good flora and just targets the c difficile. To me, and I am not a medical professional, it would see that giving vanco as a taper after the Dificid, would counter the benefits of taking Dificid because it would kill more of the good flora. I have not heard of this combination, but maybe someone else has done this successfully and will hopefully post.

kippyjim
New User

Postby kippyjim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:29 am

That was what I was thinking actually...if vanco didn't work the first two times what would be the purpose of using it again...BUT I am not a medical professional so what do I know...HAHAHA

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:44 am

Sounds like a Dr that does not know how Dificid and Vanco works.
Dificid is only superior because it does not kill the good gut bacteria and while your taking it the good flora has a chance to recover.
Follow it with vanco and the recovering gut flora that is susceptible to vanco is damaged again.
Some here tapered and pulsed Dificid with good results.

kippyjim
New User

Postby kippyjim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks roy...i think I will give them a call...it was the infectious disease doctor at the hospital...but more and more I am realizing that not a lot of doctors really know how to deal with this disease...so I make suggestions here and there...only because of groups like this that have such a wealth of information

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:14 pm

It's not part of a Dr's job to know how a med works.
All they know is that a drug rep tells them it's FDA approved and treats something so they go along and prescribe it
Often a pharmacist will know a lot more about meds than a Dr.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Roy, I know you must be saying that sarcastically...that it is not part of a dr's job to know how a med works...and the drug rep comment.
I just don't want others who don't "know you" to take you seriously!!!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:45 am

A Dr's training has very little to do with how meds work.
Especially one in general practice.
They do get most of their info from the rep selling them the idea of prescribing the drug.
A pharmacist is far more likely to study the drug and know how it works.

Return to “Treatments”