Day 2: New kind of Treatment

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
asully
New User

Day 2: New kind of Treatment

Postby asully » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:54 pm

In my first post, I had explained my C.Diff story and how now after 1 and a half weeks of being off a 1 month supply of Vancomycin, I felt as if my symptoms of C.Diff have returned. Instead of freaking out immediately, I did some research about it. In turn, I added some new things to my diet. At the moment I am consuming non-fat plain (no sugar) yogurt with live cultures, I also switched my probiotic to Florastor (which I am taking 3xs a day), I was previously taking Trubiotics 2x daily. Not sure if I see any difference there, just wanted something stronger. Also consuming water as much as possible. I have taken any kind of sugar intake out of my diet. I am regularly exercising, which helps a lot with my mood :) And I will also be trying Activated Charcoal, Tumeric and possibly Fish Oil. When I do I will update on those results.

My issues the past 3 days have been rumbles (as if gas is going back and forth in my colon) strange cloudy like mass passing each morning, not having diarrhea, but strong urges to go, and when I go it is barely enough stool, but there is a strong smell. I get occasional gas like pains and feelings of inflammation. I feel if I ate things with a lot of sugar, I would experience IBS like symptoms.

After finding this forum, I have opened up my range of things I can do to treat C.Diff instead of turning to medicine each time. This is day 3 and I feel better than day 1! I have less pains. Less urges to go. And less rumbles. The only thing still concerning would be not having full stools and the strong smell. I have made an appointment next week with my GI. Hopefully we will do another stool sample, if not, I will suggest to try the tapering with Vanco whilst taking supplements and diet changes!

Has anyone else had this similar episode after Vancomycin? I feel like it may just be my system trying to catch its self back up to normal...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Day 2: New kind of Treatment

Postby NanciT » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Hello asullly

I don't know if you have been welcomed to the site...so welcome if you have not!! Please read the first thread for all new posters.

I just read your case history and see after flagyl you went on Vanco for a month. You mentioned after that you still had CDIFF, were you tested at some point?
Reading this today, it sounds like you have the typical Post IBS but you need to review with your GI. What you have mentioned many do with probiotics, diet, D/C sugar and you have added tumeric which has been mentioned on the board, I am not sure how many have tried it.

CDIFF can take awhile to recover from, if you are not having D several times a day it sounds like you are doing well! It all just takes time. I think it's always good to follow up with your GI and make sure what you are taking is what they recommend.
Hopefully, you will continue to feel better and CDIFF will be a thing of the past!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:42 am

I don't think that you will find a pearson that didn't have bathroom issues after Vanco most of us had abnormal stool for months , pain or nausea . There are no miracle cures , even if the infection is cured the gut remains sensitive and irritated and it takes a long time to get back to some kind of normal . Some people go back to a normal within 5 or 6 months , some need 1-2 years to get well. However , if you feel that Cdiff still lingers and you start having D then you can ask your doctor to get you tested.

asully
New User

Postby asully » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:51 am

I think both of you are exactly right! This is day 4 after the symptoms started and I am definitely thinking it is not the C.Diff! I do have an appointment next week with the GI, and in the mean time I will be taking my probiotics and supplements in hopes of replenishing my body again! It's hard to stray away from the thought that it is C.Diff acting up, because you get so accustomed to the pain and uneasiness. Although after some positive thinking and new diet changes, I feel better about the outcome!

Return to “Treatments”