FMT Too Costly?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
pronin02
Regular User

FMT Too Costly?

Postby pronin02 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:35 am

Hi
Im still on dificid taper-2nd round. 5th round of a antibiotic for this cdiff nightmare. FMT offered in houston only at UT it seems. 1500 up front- no insurance coverage of this UT says. 1500.00? Im on fixed income-anyone familiar with cost of this thing esp in TX?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT Too Costly?

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:57 am

Hi
I am not in Texas but if you contact the hospital where you are having it and take to the Financial staff, they may be able to lower the cost for you with a fixed income.

Hope things work out and you get that FMT!!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:17 am

If a Dr orders a colonoscopy your insurance should cover it.
If they just happen to do an FMT at the same time the extra cost should be small.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:37 am

th eone at UT Houston is a study- and bc I dont meet all the bells for it its a 1500 charge to clean the feces etc. Ugh. Ive asked for aid-they said not any for this. Im just furious-dont know what to do here

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 am

Have you looked under the list of doctors that do FMT's for the state of Texas?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16391

There are a few listed, several are in Houston. I am not sure where you are located. Maybe other doctors can put it through insurance.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Im still trying to get fmt done- thru dr andrew dupont at hermann hosp in houston. i saw hime again today-theyw ant to do it via colonscopy. medicare and aetna cover it- one issue is UT-which cleans the material-wants 700 from me and wont run the insurance. Thats just wrong plus illegal- im on SSI-you cant charge a patient for a medically covered test at all. period. violation of federal law. ugh

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:31 pm

For me at least your going to have to word your post a lot clearer!
I got the point that the FMT was covered but possibly the test on doner stool was not covered by your insurance?
That's normal because it's not you having the test!
The doners insurance MIGHT cover that cost and you might offer to pay any copay! but if your using a doner bank you might have to pay their expenses in full.
FMT is not FDA approved so costs are passed on to the patient.
If possible shop around.
Other Dr's charge it to medicare/insurance in different ways;-)

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:51 pm

ok UT is dong the fmt study-and their lab doesnt charge insurance. 700.00 they now want or I dont have it done!

Medicare and my Aetna cover fmt- under federal law I cannot be charged anything. I am under SSI title-if I am charged anything I am required to report it to the state atty general which I have had to do on occassion.

Its confusing a bit-wish someone else here did it-but no one is anymore. I checked.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:03 pm

Some of us including me are not from America.
Your going to have to stop using slang and terms like UT as SSI.
Use the full names or we can't understand.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:51 pm

Is UT, University of Texas? And SSI is social security insurance. Can you call your insurance and see if you can submit for reimbursement after? I am just speaking off the top of my head as I really don't know how your plan works. But I believe with some insurance companies, you can pay out of pocket and then submit for reimbursement after. But, I am not sure how it's handled for FMT's.

I hope you get things straightened out soon so that you can get the FMT.
Lisa

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Yes UT means University of Texas. And SSI- Social Security Insurance. SSI title under the law includes something to live on, medicaid, and food stamps. I also have SSDI- social security disabilty insurance- which comes from quarters you worked. SSDI includes Medicare coverage.
So-Medicare is my primary coverage, and I have Aetna as a secondary. Hope this makes better sense!

Return to “Treatments”