Vancomycin refrigeration

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
sabben1
Brand New Poster

Vancomycin refrigeration

Postby sabben1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:02 am

Hello all,

26 yo female treating c diff with liquid vanco after not tolerating flagyl. I will be traveling on a plane/taxi/ train and more planes in the span of 4 days before getting to my main destination and was wondering if anyone had any insight on how long the liquid vanco can be out of the fridge. I asked my pharmacist but she was like just keep it cool with ice packs (which I am packing in an insulated lunchbox for my trip) and it should be ok. I am nervous about it though and just want to make sure I don't further jeopardize my health. This trip was made before I was ill and unfortunately cannot be refunded/changed. Any insight into this or tips on how to travel with medication needing refrigerated (initial flight is about 8 hours) would be much appreciated.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin refrigeration

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:21 am

Yeap , a icebox would do.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin refrigeration

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:48 pm

You will be away from a refrigerator for 4 days? How will you freeze your ice packs? Have you asked your travel companies if a doctor's note will allow you to reschedule? You may have to bump up to a customer service manager, but they are usually willing to work with people with real health problems. Otherwise, you can buy a Yeti cooler, but they are over $200.

Return to “Treatments”