Flagyl making things worse/ blood showing up after 1 week

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
sabben1
Brand New Poster

Flagyl making things worse/ blood showing up after 1 week

Postby sabben1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

I am a 26 year old female who just got a positive c-diff result yesterday after taking clindamycin for a sinus infection (turns out, it probably wasn't bacterial). I've had D pretty consistently and mostly in the am for more than a week. I've had one or two instances of more "normal" looking and formed BMs but today was my worst day yet. I lost track of how many trips I had to make to the bathroom and noticed blood present for the first time. Today is also the day I started the flagyl. Did anyone else develop blood in their stool a few days after the c diff really kicked in? I will be contacting my doctor tomorrow to make sure it isn't the flagyl but I'm certainly a bit anxious about this. I am also planning to travel in a couple days and nervous about this new development. Thanks everyone!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flagyl making things worse/ blood showing up after 1 wee

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Hello Sabben1 and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters

I am sorry you had to find us, yes people do get Blood with CDIFF but always check your symptoms out with your physician. Flagyl can also be harsh to take, it made me really sick and I then went to Vancomycin. If you have issues with it please talk with your MD about it.
Hopefully after you finish your treatment, you will be on your way. Also ask your MD about a Probiotic

Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 am

Flagyl knocked my symptoms down pretty quickly, but I relapsed and took vancomycin. If you aren't feeling a lot better tomorrow you may want to postpone your trip.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 am

I developed blood with my last infectionand infection I'm treating now. When it kicked it I saw a fair amount and it didn't subside until i was on the meds for 3 days the first time and about the same for this time. Keep your dr in the loop as far as your symptoms go. Hopefully they resolve shorty. I noticed each day on the meds it was less and less until gone.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:49 am

Welcome to the site that no one want's to koin Sabben , sorry you are dealing with Cdiff.
Flagyl is usually the drug of first choice for a new case of Cdiff , not always working unfortunately. It is used for it's low price but don't think it's FDA approved for treatment of Cdiff . Although we have posters here that were cured by a course of Flagyl , unfortunately , it's not always working. As all antibiotics for Cdiff , it takes awhile to kick in , usually 4-5 days . If things get worse or you do not see improvement in the next days discuss Vanco or Dificid with your doctor.
Good luck!

sabben1
Brand New Poster

Postby sabben1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Thank you everyone! My doctor switched me to the liquid vanco which left quite a dent in my uninsured wallet but I think it is helping.

Return to “Treatments”