Vanco Side Effect, Dificid and FMT

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
pronin02
Regular User

Re: Vanco Side Effect, Dificid and FMT

Postby pronin02 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey
Well i did travel-on dificid-but had mega d. have had 2 tabs so far-does it take several days to help?last time seemed worked very fast. ugh this is nuts

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:29 pm

That was really unwise, and you should put the do not disturb sign on your hotel room door so the maid doesn't clean your bathroom and then do the rest of the rooms on your hall afterwards. They don't change gloves between rooms, and they aren't microbiologists. Hotels have moved to using environmentally friendly cleaning agents that won't kill spores, and they use the same brush and sponge for every room on the floor. The front desk will happily send fresh towels up to your room every day.

I never took Dificid, so I don't know how long it takes to stop the symptoms.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:54 am

Some people GET D with Dificid. Many posters have said it is a harsh drug to take, so just because you are having D does not mean that it is not working. Did you get tested for any other pathogens besides c difficile? Maybe you have something else or a combination of things.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:30 am

When i took dificid back in june it constipated me which was a relief. stayed clean of cdiff for a month. this time things arent yet being settled down after day 2. i was on tapering vanco for 2.5 weeks then dr switched to dificid hoping would bring greater relief. tiring!

what other pathogen s would dr check for?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:37 am

Other bacteria or even parasites. I had campylobacter and the symptoms were almost identical to c diff. Other people got parasites. After you have c difficile, your GI system is more susceptible to pick up other pathogens. Foods can cause it. I think I got the campylobacter from chicken that I ate that was not cooked enough. If you eat out, you could have gotten something that under normal circumstances would only give you a day or D, but with a weakened system can stay around. If you have already taken vanco for 2.5 weeks, you really should not have active c diff anymore, D or not, although you can still shed spores.

When you get home, I would ask to be tested with a regular stool culture and a test for ova and parasites. Another poster just got diagnosed with giardia. That is a separate test as far as I know.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm

well I made it back-the dificid seemed to have have blocked me up thank goodness most of the time-scary thing is im out of dificid come monday-was son a 10 day course (again).do i ask for more? every time i go off i get sick. and im not fully sold on fmt-it costs me 1500.00. surely there is another way?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 pm

If your last day is on Monday, why don't you call the doctor on Monday and see if you can do a taper with Dificid and not come off all at once? A couple of posters have done that with success.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:25 pm

im to be on dificid at 1 tab m, w, fri till finished. also to see infect disease dr-dont know who in houston. dr dupont is not a clinic dr anymore here

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:58 pm

im now pulsing dificid and boom diarrhea is back for 1st time in 2 weeks. normal?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 am

I read many posts where people complained about Dificid beeing a harsh drug . It can give either D or constipation , cramps . I'm sure the people who tapered Dificid will give you some answers soon.
How are you pulsing your Dificid?

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

dr said 1 tab dificid every 3 days or m-w-fri

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Wish I could have gone to the convention!
I watched every second of it!!!!

I hope the pulsing works for you.
While you are doing it, I would be investigating ways around getting insurance to cover part or all of a FMT.
Roy's suggestion of getting the colonoscopy portion paid is a good one.
Also I would call the dr's office or billing dept and ask them about it. They often have that kind of information.

Rita

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:49 am

Hmm this says fm covered with coding-
http://www.cgsmedicare.com/partb/pubs/n ... 28449.html

Return to “Treatments”