Vanco Side Effect, Dificid and FMT

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
pronin02
Regular User

Vanco Side Effect, Dificid and FMT

Postby pronin02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:15 am

HI
Ive had a long history of gi woes-gastroparesis, ibd. Then this april I got cdiff bad-dr put me on vanco 14 days-was ok a month then cdiff in full again-put on 10 day dificid course-was ok a week or two. The vanco I find very taxing-im tired on -real tired and weak. Dr doesnt believe me that vanco causing this-but im sure it is.
July 2 I had roundn 3 of the cdiff-put on vanco tapered. But this time having diarrhea last week or so on it-he think sI might need fmt-but its very expensive here.
Question-can vanco cause exhuastion? Im sure the cdiff isnt helping but feel even worse on the vanco in some ways-
One added migraine-Im to go on a trip-convention for a week in a day or so-I should be excitied but Im pretty scared and wiped out from the vanco and or cdiff-any suggestions going forward?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Side Effect, Dificid and FMT

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:58 am

I would skip a convention if you have C diff and are having D, because when you are having D you are contagious. I would ask for Dificid to get you through the convention if you have to go and then have the FMT after you finish the Dificid. I tolerated vanco very well, but that doesn't mean everybody does. Will your insurance not cover the cost of the FMT? Or at least the colonoscopy part of it?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 am

IBD plus C diff could get dangerous quickly, so i 100% would not go if you can't start Dificid today. Airlines will usually let you cancel tickets with doctor's orders. You may have to get transferred to a customer service manager to get a refund, but I honestly urge you to not go in your condition.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 am

I do not think that Vanco can cause exhaustion because it doesn't get absorbed in the bloodstreem. You can still have fatigue because of Cdiff's toxins or from the unbalanced gut flora. Talk to your doctor , maybe he can order some bloodwork for you , to see if you have vitamine deficiency . Many here were deficient in B12 and D after Cdiff.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 am

hey
fmt is 1500.00 at ut in houston. bc i have had preexisting gi issues its not subsidized for me. i have a difficid refill-lordy help me on this one!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:52 am

If a GI orders a colonoscopy would your insurance cover it?
If they just happen to do the FMT at the same time your cost might be a lot lower;-)

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Can you skip the convention? You need to be resting and using your strength to recover, not traveling. You don't want to end up hospitalized in a city far from home.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Vanco gave me exhaustion. It also contributed to hearing loss, so maybe because I had bleeding, it somehow crossed into my system, but every time I went on it, I had exhaustion. Xifaxan was even worse. So, I think it is possible. Probably not common, but possible.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

dr wants to flip me back to difficid given todays 10 rounds of diarrhea. I was elected as a natl delegate to the democratic convention in philadelphia-thats the trip. Its imp to m-however-I wissh this would stop alsso

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:35 pm

Oh well, at least if you pass gas you won't be the only Trump talked about in the room!

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Yikes cant find dificid- cvs, walgreens , kroger, safeway all dont have it bc of cost. wld have to order nxt week. walmart also-uh oh

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Let your alternate go! Honestly, it's not worth your life, and the flight from Houston to Philly would be a nightmare. It's just politics.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Call the inpatient pharmacy at your doctor's hospital. They might have it but might not fill it if you aren't admitted, but that might not be the worst idea in the world.

And I thought pre-existing condition exclusions aren't legal any more? They damn sure can't refuse to pay for a scope for a person with IBD and recurrent infections.

pronin02
Regular User

Postby pronin02 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:25 pm

ok got the dificid and started it-hope it stops this crazy diarrhea.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Please don't travel with crazy D. Little kids and elderly people use airplane restrooms, and you are contagious. It really would be very unwise for your health too. Air travel is dehydrating already, and with IBD and D you could get in a bad way. Imagine the thrill your alternate will get by attending in your place :). The convention could be in Houston next time, which would be tons of fun for you.

Return to “Treatments”