POST C DIFF POSSIBLY??

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ashley86
New User

POST C DIFF POSSIBLY??

Postby Ashley86 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:41 am

Hi friends, so I am writing to you guys in regards to there is a great chance I am C DIFF free if we go by the negative stool sample I had last month however, I have two awful "flares" shall I call them where the D , abdominal pain etc has returned out of no where... (for example just last night at 1:30 AM I woke up with awful D and bad stomach pains, but then this morning went again and it wasn't D and my stomach ache did subside a bit... I am trying to figure out what I am going through, is it just the aftermath of the viscious devil??? A quick background of my story is I was diagnosed with c diff in January of this year, and knock on wood haven't taken a vanco for 4 weeks, longest yet) I relapsed 5 times since January (normally 3-5 days after finishing my antibiotic).. Well like I said my last test came back negative but I am still having a lot of D and abdominal pain and AWFUL lower back pain. Is this what I have to expect to have to deal with even though my c diff test is negative? Am I just going to have months and months of this awful D, stomach pain, etc. because of the destruction the C DIFF had caused in my colon? I guess what I am getting at since I am rambling on is, can someone explain if this is normal? I have heard some people have gotten IBS from C DIFF? Also I want to mention I do not have lactose issues, I have eaten cheese, pizza, milk, etc and was fine! Thanks any advice from post C diff friends would be terrific.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: POST C DIFF POSSIBLY??

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Ashley86

Many people get Post IBS including myself. I have had to watch my diet closely and slowly add new foods. Can this be tied to anything you ate? You mentioned you had Pizza and were fine.
For some recovery takes awhile, the gut needs time to heal. We tend to use the 3 days rule here, watery D for 3 consistent days and we call the GI.
If you are having some D and then it goes back to normal, that sounds like IBS. Are you taking a Probiotic?
I take VSL#3 which is also a treatment for Post IBS.

The abdominal pain and low back pain could be something else, have you called the MD about that? If you have consistent ABD pain, it needs to be checked.
Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am

Sorry you are feeling so unwell Ashley , hopefully it's just nasty IBS. Pizza and milk are not so great food options for you right now , milk ferments in the gut and sometimes gives D to people that don't have gut issues and pizza is greasy and that melted cheese can really irritate . Try to eat blander foods and as your gut heals you can add more new foods in. Try some peppermint or chamomile tea , those have calming effects on intestines , a heating pad and also ask your doctor about some antispasmodics to help you with that pain.
Hopw you get well soon!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:22 am

Sometimes with IBS something that you eat does not bother you right away, but a day or two later. That has been the case with me sometimes.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:16 am

Also sometimes I could eat something and be fine and the next time I ate it I got D sick etc. Hope everything settles down but I would take it easy on your diet right now and hopefully you will be fine.
CAROL

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:31 pm

After Father's Day brunch that whole week went downhill for me ending with d in the morning 5 days later for two days. So I think some foods can trigger symptoms and I wonder if that's what you are experiencing. My symptoms resolved the next day but sometimes when I eat certain things it can cause me an issue. I've cut out so much but still have things loose at times and not optimal. The random cramping/gurgling/and twinges of pain come and go at random times. I'm 32 days into recovery but sometimes I wonder if I'm recovering at all or it's just being kept at bay. The nausea has lessened over time and gurgling lessened so hopefully what you are experiencing is just pi ibs and not anything else. Things for me and a lot of others I've noticed are very up and down in the initial recovery. It's hard to be optimistic all the time. Fingers crossed for you.

Return to “Treatments”