Vancomycin liquid vs capsule

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Vancomycin liquid vs capsule

Postby ashtontw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi guys!

So I posted earlier (new here) about the SEVERE anxiety (seriously debilitating) I have had about taking Vanco due to the possibility of it causing hearing loss. I've been reassured that the oral dose does not get absorbed into the bloodstream as the IV does, and most hearing loss cases are from IV Vanco. Anyone have any (positive hopefully!) input? I'm taking liquid Vanco, as I cannot afford the capsules. The liquid and capsules should be absorbed the same, right? And not into the blood? I think if I ask my pharmacist or Doctor anymore paranoid questions, they may strangle me!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin liquid vs capsule

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi Ashton

I posted on the other thread, but I wanted to add CDIFF can cause or make anxiety worse. Might be a good idea to bring that up to your MD, when the GUT is off, the rest of us is off. If you read through some of the treads you will read it often.
Is there a reason you have great concern over your hearing?
Every medication out there is going to have side effects. I have seen very few on the board with any hearing issues, and MOST of us have been on Vanco. I have been on it 6 different times, once as long as 3 months.

It's important to complete you medication per your MD. Hopefully, this round will take care of CDIFF and all of this will be in the past for you

Take Care
NanciT

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Thank you, NanciT. I just have always had horrific health related anxiety. I recently got off my anxiety medicine...go figure something like this happens now. I just couldn't imagine losing my hearing from a medicine due to an infection that I got from another medicine...it legitimately keeps me up at night. I just want the next 10 days to fly by. I know I'm probably being irrational and neurotic. I just can't help it :-/

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:20 pm

That's just not going to happen!
Liquid vanco is considered by some to be superior to the pill form.
It would not be in the manufacturers interest to admit that!
There's a direct link between the brain and gut.
Seretonin or the lack of it causes problems in both.
While your battling c.diff your gut might not be getting the seretonin it needs to function
Dont be afraid to go back onto antidepressants or even mild sedation type meds.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 pm

I have been taking liquid Vanco on and off from april 2015 , and my hearing is fine. Do not think that is a good ideea to go off your antianxiety meds when you are fighting Cdiff. Cdiff is bad enough without the withdrawal symptoms from whatever you have been taking for anxiety. And , like Roy said , anxianxiety and antidepressant helped many here on the site to get through this ordeal , me including. Just be sure not to use the two antidepressant that are linked to CDiff (Prozac and Remeron) although there is no real evidence that those two can cause the disease.

Return to “Treatments”