Taking Dificid 1 day after Vanco?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Dukiemom
Contributor

Re: Taking Dificid 1 day after Vanco?

Postby Dukiemom » Sun May 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm an outlier and when I have had relapses I have not had the typical watery diarhea for an extended period. I start out that way with blood , mucous and the cdiff odor that for me is a dead giveaway, but then due to having had colon surgery I move to constipation, which my doctor says is dangerous so he would have said not to wait. Dificid was finally my magic bullet. If you do have to go that route I like your chances. Thoughts and prayers.

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Mon May 23, 2016 10:24 am

Thank you, Lisa.

I have been feeling progressively worse since last Monday. My symptoms are typical as of today, for sure. I am going to take the Dificid. If this fails, I am not sure what options are available to me, insurance wise. I don't know if I'll be able to do a taper with Dificid but I probably could with Vanco. Vanco destroys my ears, though... tinnitus is so much worse since I took it the first round. Ugh.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:31 am

You can do a taper with Dificid. Dificid tapers have cured several posters on this site after vanco tapers failed. NanciT and NikaNik are two members that were cured by Dificid tapers. You can search their posts, although they most likely will reply here. Dificid has a high cure rate and it also does not kill your good gut bacteria as the other meds do.

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks, Dukiemom. I didn't have watery D, either. I sure hope the Dificid works, too. I have other health issues going on right now and this just makes everything SO much worse.

I am trying to plan ahead in case it doesn't work, though. Is there any particular taper dose that is effective and recognized by most, for Dificid and Vanco? If I tolerate the Dificid, I think I would prefer to do a taper with that being it supposedly leaves the good flora intact, for the most part. I would like to have taper examples to give to tge doctor right away in the event of a relapse. I don't recall seeing any Dificid taper examples on this site.

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm

How long does Dificid take to start working? Full blown symptoms, today. Ugh!

I wonder how this affects absorption of medication. It has to have some effect. I think I struggled with medication withdrawal the first time around which made the experience tortuous. I'm petrified it's going to happen again. Hopefully, the Dificid will work quickly. But, I wonder what the overall effect is on absorption and how quickly that can recover.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 23, 2016 3:12 pm

If your on vital medication or oral contraceptives you need to ask your Dr about absorbtion problems.
Having frequent D does cause problems.

Sweet
New User

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:53 pm

I am on my second round of vanco with tapering this time. Was retested and positive again. I am having anxiety and depression during it as I am constantly nauseous through it and that is what is giving me anxiety. I take amitriptyline at night and helps me sleep.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:20 am

Hi Sweet - I am not sure if you read up on testing at all, but if you test while on meds or too soon thereafter, you can get a false test result. The proper protocol, although most doctors don't follow it, is to treat based on symptoms alone. This is to avoid over-treating. If you do retest, it should be at least 10-14 days after finishing meds, the longer the better. If you are having the frequent watery D, more than 3 times per day, for 3 days in a row, then that could indicate a relapse. Doctors are not supposed to test for a cure.

Nausea was also one of the worst symptoms for me as well. Unfortunately, anti-nausea meds didn't work for me. I am not sure if you have tried them at all. NanciT recommends buying seabands that you wear on your wrists that can also be helpful. They work for her. It may be worth a try as well.

Lisa

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Just an update - I finished the 10-day course of Dificid 23 days ago. It stopped the D within 12 hours of the first dose and by day 4-5, everything appeared normal. I am so hoping that I am passed it. I also began VSL#3 immediately after I finished the Dificid and I have been taking Saccromyces Boullardi since the beginning.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 pm

AWESOME! It's so nice to hear positive stories.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm so glad for you, Moopus. That's great news. I wish you continued improvement!

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am

Thank you!

Sweet
New User

Postby Sweet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm

I am on antidepressant due to c diff making me so nauseous and fatigued that i was so depressed and crying all the time. I take it once at night to help me sleep and it has worked. I tested positive second time for c. diff and have had it since february and did not find out til may. and took once treatment of 14 days of vanco cause i could not tolerate metro and then tested pos. again and back on vanco for another month to taper off. I hope it works this time. If not then dificid is next.

Moopus
New User

Postby Moopus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm pretty confident it's back. 6 weeks I made it. I dropped a sample at the lab, results will be in sometime tomorrow. Pretty sure I have relapsed. My doctor ordered 50 Dificid pills but the insurance co was having none of that. I guess I am doing a 7 week Vanco taper. I don't know the specifics of the taper, yet. I just got the first 2 weeks of pills so far. I want the transplant, this is insane! There is SO much stress right now, I am LOSING IT!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 pm

I hope the test is NEGATIVE!!! I thought I had relapsed several times. Please keep us updated!
NanciT

Return to “Treatments”