Failed Flagyl. Vanco or natural antibiotics/probiotics now?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Lorin
New User

Re: Failed Flagyl. Vanco or natural antibiotics/probiotics

Postby Lorin » Thu May 19, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks everyone. First step to switching GI's is getting a good GP who can give me a referral. I managed to get an appointment with one tomorrow. I'll see if he can do a PCR test.

So far, herbal antibiotics/anti-inflammatories are keeping it at bay. Intestinal cramping is infrequent and relatively mild (vs a week ago). Diarrhea is not particularly frequent or compositionally concerning. Eating many 2-3 bite meals of wild black rice and intestines seem OK with that, for now.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 19, 2016 1:43 pm

"11, 2016 Clostridium difficile Toxin B Gene negative"
Thats the result of the PCR test you have already had.
PCR reports only toxin B and is accurate.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu May 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Points to Roy, I didn't see that one. So it's possible you didn't have C diff at all but the doctor treated you because of your antibiotic history, which is OK, and it's in the past. Hopefully the GI doc you see tomorrow won't want to jump straight into doing a scope since you are young and healthy. Lots of people develop antibiotic-associated D and only some of those have C diff. Often your gut will recover from simple AAD with a little time and patience. Meet the doctor so you will be an established patient and then if things go downhill in the next few weeks you will be able to get in for tests quickly.

cdiffrun
Regular Contributor

Postby cdiffrun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 am

usually if you have a recurrent C diff infection they will put you on flagyl again
C Diff run - Run Diff Run! :)

My anti C diff recurrence regiment: Daily intake of Lifeway Kefir (15-20 billion CFUs and 12 strains!), boulardii + lactobacillus probiotics (I use Nexabiotic 23 strain multi-probiotic)

Return to “Treatments”