Is there a good probiotic to take to help with C. Diff?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Sweet
New User

Is there a good probiotic to take to help with C. Diff?

Postby Sweet » Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm

I was diagnosed with C. Diff. I have been nauseous since I had surgery last Feb 2016. along with diarrhea. Doctors did over 44 tests on me. Did a stool test in march but was negative but I knew there was something wrong with stool. I honestly believe a pill they gave me for a yeast infection gave the stool test a false negative. I have been fatigued, nauseous and diarrhea and a burning feeling through stomach. I had doctor run another test about week ago and came positive. I started metro and it is going on 3rd day today on them. But still so nauseated along with fatigued. I have to get back to work sunday and need energy. Is Florastor a good probiotic? Thanks

Lorin
New User

Re: Is there a good probiotic to take to help with C. Diff?

Postby Lorin » Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm

From my research, saccharomyces boulardii (in addition to regular probiotics)

http://iai.asm.org/content/67/1/302.full

Saccharomyces will not be in your average probiotic. Separate and shelf-stable.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:26 pm

VSL#3 is a good multi-strain probiotic as well. Flagyl can make you feel nauseated in and of itself. Try to take it with food.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 20, 2016 5:54 am

Saccharomyces boulardii is the only probiotic that did something for me , other probiotics were a waste of money. Others had success with fermented foods : pickels , sauerkraut , kefir or yogurt but I could not tolerate any of them.

cdiffrun
Regular Contributor

Postby cdiffrun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:32 am

I had good luck with Nexabiotic which has Saccharomyces boulardii (florastor) and b infantis (align). Good luck!
Last edited by cdiffrun on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
C Diff run - Run Diff Run! :)

My anti C diff recurrence regiment: Daily intake of Lifeway Kefir (15-20 billion CFUs and 12 strains!), boulardii + lactobacillus probiotics (I use Nexabiotic 23 strain multi-probiotic)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:31 pm

I used Florastor for several months after c diff and any time I think I might need an antibiotic but take Align on a regular daily basis.

BobRob
New User

Postby BobRob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:56 pm

I took 3 Culturelle a day opposite the 3x/day Flagyl for 14 days. Two days off the flagyl and I'm still taking the Culturelle..so far to good.

skizamii
Contributor

Postby skizamii » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:56 pm

VSL#3...DEFINATELY!! It is $45 at Walgreens, $70 everywhere else. Spread the word!!!

This stuff was recommended by Dr. Shepard after my FMT and it is the one thing that I can say really helps. It is almost like a daily FMT in a capsule. I've tried EVERYTHING else, including custom probiotics from California. VSL#3 is the only stuff that works for me.

I also add S. Boulardii as it has been shown to treat c. diff, it is a yeast and isn't in VSL#3

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Just want to follow this post as I have no idea what probiotic to take that actually works!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 am

There is no "right" probiotic to take; the entire topic is fraught with uncertainty. While there's a growing consensus that probiotics are probably helpful, and while people tend to attribute absence of recurrence to whatever probiotic they might be taking, the lack of evidence-based studies so far means that it's a guessing game as to which probiotics are effective and in what doses. The possible exception is Florastor, which evidently showed success in reducing the rates of C. diff recurrence in patients who took it for an indeterminate period before being hospitalized, e.g., for a surgery. I'm not sure that this success translates into protection under other (non-hospital) conditions, however.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for your input AllisS. That is pretty much what I have been reading, as well. Seems, by now, they should have some studies out that would be of help to so many that are suffering! A healing diet of some sort would be great too! You read where one thing seems to help one and another say it is bad for you! Then there is the question of which Probiotics actually have "live" bacteria in them. I fear it is like many vitamins etc., you just as well throw your money out the window!

fishrman
Regular User

Florastor

Postby fishrman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Wondering when the best time to take the Florastor would be? Take it at night on an empty stomach before bed or morning with a meal?? Any ideas on what is working for you or others? Thanks!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Florastor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 am

Hi fishrman,

Along the same lines as my previous post, there are few rights or wrongs when it comes to probiotics. When I took Florastor I did so with meals, though I don't know that this is necessary. (The package inserts and/or pharmacist is often a good resource for such information.) As for what may or may not be working -- again, it's really anyone's guess.

AllisS
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

fishrman
Regular User

Re: Florastor

Postby fishrman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 am

AllisS wrote:
> Hi fishrman,
>
> Along the same lines as my previous post, there are few rights or wrongs
> when it comes to probiotics. When I took Florastor I did so with meals,
> though I don't know that this is necessary. (The package inserts and/or
> pharmacist is often a good resource for such information.) As for what may
> or may not be working -- again, it's really anyone's guess.
>
> AllisS
Thanks! In reading the insert---they obviously want you to take as much as you can because they sell more that way. As I understand the materials, the company suggest taking about 1000 mg. per day when you have c.diff, 2 in morning and 2 at night but if you no longer have it, you can take 1 2x per day and then there was another place, I read on the box, take 1 a day. All a mystery. Especially when you don't even know that it really helps!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 am

In a study, those NOT taking one gram (20 billion cells) of Saccharomyces Boulardii, with vancomycin, relapsed 50%. Those taking one gram (20 billion cells) Saccharomyces Boulardii with the vancomycin relapsed only 16.7%. Big difference!

I first started with one Saccharomyces boulardii per day (5 billion cells). When I did not experience any side effects I moved to two (10 billion cells), then I moved to FIVE (25 billion cells)!

Saccharomyces boulardii, (1 g/day = 20 billion) had been shown to greatly reduce recurrence of C-diff, when combined with 500g of vancomycin, four times per day. So... I figured, if Saccharomyces boulardii (20 billion) combined with Vancomycin could stop C-diff; then Saccharomyces boulardii (20 billion) combined with DIFICID would have much better chances at ending my C-diff! I miscalculated and took five (25 billion) Saccharomyces boulardii, when I should have taken only four (20 billion).

On June 12th I will be 9 months recovered after taking 10 days of dificid combined with 25 billion Saccharomyces boulardii and doing great! Did the Saccharomyces boulardii contribute to my recovery? I don't know! When I took FIVE(25 billion cells) of it during my Vancomycin tapering, my C-diff still came back! What I can say definitively is that Dificid was a miraculous medication for me!

For those who can take Saccharomyces boulardii, here is a quote from an October 2000 Oxford University Press article entitled: ===> "The Search for a Better Treatment for Recurrent Clostridium difficile Disease: Use of High-Dose Vancomycin Combined with Saccharomyces boulardii" <===

"A significant decrease in recurrences was observed only in patients treated with high-dose vancomycin (2 g/day) and S. boulardii (1 g/day) (16.7%), compared with those who received high-dose vancomycin and placebo (50%; P = .05)."

Perhaps I was just one of the unlucky ones when taking 25 billion cells.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “Treatments”