Vancomycin question

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Nockamy
New User

Vancomycin question

Postby Nockamy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I failed on 7 Days of flaygl, couldn't take the nausea. Started a 10-day round of Vancomycin 4 times a day. Today is supposed to be my last day, but yesterday and today I'm experiencing the debilitating nausea that I did on flaygl. Did anyone else have experience with nausea from Vancomycin so late in the treatment? Now the doctor wants to put me on for more days because he thinks it's the c diff not the meds. Anyone else experienced this?

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Re: Vancomycin question

Postby Ismaila » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey,

I actually started being nauseated later in the treatment with Vanco. I am closing in after 120 Vancomycin tablets ( I do not even know how many days it has been - 10 days, then 5 days double dose, then 5 days regular dose, and now 10 days tapering...) I have read a lot about not only C Diff, but all the medications, and the longer one uses it, the more tired you body becomes of it all. In a short - yes, you can experience nausea later into the treatment.

I however got a nasty UTI during Vanco, so now I am also taking Macrobid ( 10 days), for that. According to MAYO clinic, one of the more serious side effects of Vanco is adverse effect on a person's urinary tract. Combination of 2 powerful antibiotics makes me at this point nauseated, dizzy and not 100% by any means.

Of course, I can not tell if nausea would be sign of C Diff - I do not think many people experience that, based on the reading in the Forum. 14 days of Vanco is pretty normal course, I would say.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 pm

I did a 10 day course of Flagyl and even though i tolerated it pretty well, i had severe nausea for about 4 months after. I thought the nausea would never go away. I did not relapse after the flagyl and the nausea did go away...i think healing takes time and eventually things settle down and go back to normal. I hope you feel better soon.

Nockamy
New User

Postby Nockamy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:31 pm

I can't do 4 more days of this. I think I'm going to stop the meds and I have a follow up with him on Tuesday.

norah
Regular User

Postby norah » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Nocknanny, Sorry you are having so much trouble with the meds. My first round was 14 days of flagyle and vanco together. I lost my appetite and had some nausea. The dr. gave me a med for the nausea and I took it once and it seemed to help. I did not take anymore b/c it could cause C which I do not need.

Two weeks later I relapsed and instead of vanco the doc decided to put me on 30 days of flagyl 4xday. It was pure hell. Total disdain for any food or drink. Forced some down before taking the pill though. Many times I wanted to quit. Did not think I could go another day. But, I presevered and did it. I am now about a month out and seem to be doing good. My GI wants me to test in three weeks. He was not the doc who prescribed the 30 days of flagyl. He said he would NOT have done that. But, I was away from home on vacation when I got this horrible beast called c-diff.

I have read here though that vanco is not supposed to be as bad as flagyl.

Guess I am trying to say maybe get your doc to give something for the nausea and hang in there. When I was tempted to quit I kept thinking if I did then I would have to start all over again at another time.
Even now I hope and pray that I will test negative.

Praying for you.
norah

Nockamy
New User

Postby Nockamy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Thank you Norah. Just so difficult, I have to keep missing work. I honestly feel like I can't go on another day. Then, I'm terrified that I will see him on Tuesday and will be told I still need meds. I can't do it

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:13 pm

I would call your doctor and see if they can call in an anti-nausea med for you. It does help many, although it did not help me. But, it's definitely worth a try. I think there is another post going on this where NanciT suggested trying SeaBands.

Since today is your last day of the vanco course and BM's are better without the frequent, watery D, I am not sure why your doctor would want to add more days just because of nausea. Nausea itself doesn't mean that the c-diff is still present. Nausea can be a result of meds, no appetite, acid buildup, a messed up gut that needs to heal from the infection, as well as, IBS. I did a 14 course of vanco, which did cure me thankfully. I would try to finish this course, but definitely ask for an anti-nausea if you still have to do more days on vanco.

Nausea is horrible. I had extreme nausea and no appetite when I was on Flagyl. I also had nausea with post-infectious IBS after c-diff. I know how hard it is to deal with. Hang in there and hopefully the c-diff is gone now.

Lisa

Nockamy
New User

Postby Nockamy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm

I have zophran, but it really doesn't do anything. Since a 14 day treatment isn't unusual, I guess I will continue the extra 4 days he added to my 10 day treatment. When I told him that I was having one or two soft / loose movements in the morning, he said it should be better than that by now. I guess I'm at the mercy of doing what he thinks is best, but I thought that not having several to many episodes of water D daily WAS an improvement.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I totally think that 2 soft BM's in the morning is not unusual at all and doesn't mean that the c-diff is still present. The real healing takes place when you are off meds, so BM's can be all over the place for quite some time. The least amount of treatment needed to cure you, the best. These meds also take a toll on your body and gut.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:26 am

Hi,
I had moderate nausea on vanco and drank fresh ginger tea 3 times a day (peel off skin and cut up the ginger and boil for 10 minutes) It worked for me....
An alternative to vanco is dificid....

Sending positive prayers to you
Scott

Return to “Treatments”