How can we tell Dr. what we need w/o offending?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

How can we tell Dr. what we need w/o offending?

Postby Ismaila » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 am

I have had severe UTI for the last 5 days. The pain has been unbearable, to the point that narcotics barely help. Have not slept in 4 night.

My Dr. is expecting today the urine culture sensitivity test result, without which he did not want to prescribe anything. He says this shows the exact bacterium causing UTI, and then he can target that only.

I have the list of antibiotic from the Forum, from lowest or 0 offending, to the worst offenders. Is there a way I can somehow participate in him deciding on the antibiotic for UTI? How can I do it politely and not coming across as if I think I know more than him?

In case he prescribes something I dare not take, based on the list, shall I take it to the different doctor? I am so scared, and nervous. I cannot live with the UTI and this pain any longer ( I am basically disabled, cannot do practically anything at this point), but, I cannot allow anything to affect current Vanco tapering treatment. I feel like there is no way out from this night mare.

He is a good GI expert, respected in the community, but his bed manners are not that great, and he comes across as pretty vane.

Also, if he gives me something that is not from the first line of antibiotics ( close to 0 chance of causing C Diff), is there a chance I still might not relapse?

Thank you in advance for every piece of advice,

Ismaila
Last edited by Ismaila on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: How can we tell Dr. what wee need w/o offending?

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am

Many here have taken Macrobid for UTI and did not relapse , the fact that you are still on Vanco will help prevent relapses.

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 am

I have copied the list and provided it to every doctor I see and ask that it be put in my chart/attached to my file. This week at my annual exam my gynie thanked me for bringing it in, asked it's source and if I minded if she laminated it for use at the central desk in the group. I have had bad experiences when I was made to feel small for asking questions or seeming presumptuous when asking too many questions, but after a near death experience being embarrassed seems slight in comparison to being the suffering of not being my own advocate. I tell myself that it is no reward to have them put on my tombstone, "Here she lies, she never questioned authority and was a good girl, although it killed her." Be brave!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 am

I agree, bring the list in with you and explain the concern.
The sensitivities will list which drug it is sensitive too, which will kill the bacteria. Your MD will have that list and you can compare.
You are going in as a educated patient who takes part in her healthcare due to a very difficult illness.
You will do great and get through this!
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 am

I agree - You have to be your own health advocate sometimes. A good doctor will listen to your concerns and come up with the safest plan of treatment for you. As Georgina said, if the bacteria can be treated with Macrobid, that is a low offender and many here have not relapsed after taking it. You are still on vanco, so that is good as well. I believe NanciT took vanco along with UTI treatment to prevent a relapse. I think it was Nanci. You can do a search on UTI. You can't continue to suffer with a severe UTI infection. You need to get rest as your body is dealing with a lot right now. Try not to worry yourself as hard as it is - you will get through this whole ordeal. I hope you get the culture results today so that you can get some relief.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Re: How can we tell Dr. what we need w/o offending?

Postby Ismaila » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:12 am

Dear friends,

Thank you very much. Will wait to see what he wants to give, and take it from there.

I saw there are several lists of the most / least offending antibiotics. Some of them are tiny bit contradictory , especially about penicillin- which one should I rely upon?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: How can we tell Dr. what we need w/o offending?

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Ismailia,

We can't give medical advice since this is a support site. Speaking generally, however, it's important to balance the well-founded wish to take the least-risky antibiotic possible with the need to accept one that has been matched to the specific UTI bacterium. The antibiotic can't be chosen simply on the basis of whether it might carry a risk of C. difficile. I and many others on the site have taken antibiotics for various reasons post-C. diff, even including some of the riskier ones when there's not been any better option, and have not had C. diff recurrence.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Treatments”