Just talked to a doctor about Vanco, and was shocked

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Just talked to a doctor about Vanco, and was shocked

Postby Ismaila » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Since I thought this is UTI, I contacted a doctor , because cannot reach my GI. This is what he said:

/////If you are experiencing symptoms like burning of urine, increase is frequency of urination or groin or flank pain, then it is best to have your doctor know about it since Vancomycin is a nephrotoxic drug and can cause the above symptoms which you might be attributing to a UTI. It is best to get in touch with your doctor on the phone about this. But if this is UTI, then usually UTIs require quinolones like Ciprofloxacin and they are a class of antibiotics that seldom cause C difficile. However, before any antibiotic is started for the UTI at this point in time, your physician will want to run a urine culture and sensitivity to identify the organism responsible for the UTI and which specific antibiotic to give you - instead of leaving it to empirical antibiotics which might not alleviate the UTI.

And keep yourself hydrated since you are on Vancomycin and dehydration may also cause burning and painful micturition.////

Had no idea. Did anyone have this happened to them while on Vanco?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just talked to a doctor about Vanco, and was shocked

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Yes, there are several posts to that effect. However, your doctor is wrong about the quinolones. Cipro and Levaquin are some of the worst offenders. They are high on the list to cause c difficile, not low.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Thank you Beth. I will be EXTREMELY careful with what kind of antibiotics to take - if needed. I will change doctors like socks, but not taking dangerous antibiotic again

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 pm

I have been writing on the board about Vanco causing bladder issues. When I started on Vanco 2 years ago, I could not find information on it. Now it is listed online clearly it causes bladder issues. I copied it and brought it into the urologist I am seeing currently due to this issue.
If you think you have a UTI, have the Urine and Culture done also, they will check which antibiotic it is sensitive to. There are safer antibiotics, Cipro is the drug that caused my CDIFF.
NanciT

Return to “Treatments”