Might need to take antibiotics, very scared. Please read

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Might need to take antibiotics, very scared. Please read

Postby Ismaila » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 pm

My UTI, since last night, is not letting up. Actually, it is worse. Pain, burning, cruel urgency to pee, and it feels like knives.

Did any of you take antibiotic ( low offender kind), while being treated for C DIff? And if so, did you relapse? Is Macrobid safe? I am still on Vanco

I am trying my best not to sink to the new low.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Might need to take antibiotics, very scared. Please read

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Some people, including Bobbie, have taken Macrobid and have not relapsed. I took doxycycline for something other than a UTI and did not relapse. Be sure to ask for a culture to see what the bacteria is sensitive to and then you can see which of those antibiotics are the least likely to cause c difficile.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:36 am

Hi Ismaila - If I were you, I would definitely get a urine sample in to be cultured. It will probably take a couple of days to get the results back, and you really should know what you are dealing with. Macrobid is a low offender for c-diff. See antibiotics by risk level under CDI-Info All You need to Know:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636

If you do test positive for a bacteria and need to take an antibiotic, it's probably best to do so while you are still on the vanco anyway. I know if it were me, I would just go and submit the sample because the not knowing would just be creating more anxiety and panic for me.

Good luck,
Lisa

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Lisa, Thank you so much.

Yes, a complete urine culture is being done, with sensitivity test and all.

I have been drinking enormous amounts of water, which actually was the ONLY thing that eased the pain. Even if there is an infection, but it is not major, I would try to get rid off it with water, little Tylenol for pain ( which was unbearable past 2 days, but not today), and 1 - 2 glasses of water with little Apple Cider VInegar. Allegedly it is less dangerous than drinking Baking Soda, which is also recommended for home remedy for UTI. There are claims that ACV in water can actually cure it, if it did not get past the urethra .

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Water and apple-cider vinegar aren't going to make a dent in a UTI.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Maybe - or maybe not. Unless you are a doctor, and even then, I am not sure that anybody can say for sure. It works for many women.

I know that my symptoms eased significantly, though. I am NOT going to take antibiotics if I have no symptoms.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Many people use cider vinegar as a cure all.
Its one of those "cant hurt might help" things.
If it works for you take it!
I prefer my cider by the pint though:-)

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Thank you Roy, I think for us here, on the forum , nice words of moderate encouragement are always welcome.

The fact is that the internist told me today that the medical community is looking into some other options , other than immediately prescribing antibiotics for even mildest forms if UTI.

Although he was being cautious with words, I understand what he was saying to me. I have known him for years.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:24 pm

I hope you don't need the antibiotics. I totally understand your fear, as I've dealt with that fear not too long ago when I thought I had bacterial tonsillitis. It turned out to be viral, but it still scared the you know what out of me. I am one to always try natural remedies that have shown benefits. If something other than an antibiotic can help, and it can't hurt you, why not try it. I have heard a lot of great things about apple cider vinegar as well. Continue to drink gallons of water and cranberry. I'm glad you got cultured though.

Hope these UTI symptoms start to ease up for you.
Lisa

Return to “Treatments”