Vancomycin side effects?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Vancomycin side effects?

Postby Ismaila » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 pm

My GI raised Vancomycin dosage ( from 125 mg to 250 mg for a week, before reducing it and then tapering).

My stomach is uncomfortable, hurts a little, and I am dizzy. Nothing like horrible Flagyl side effects, but, I am definitely not feeling great.

Did anyone experience certain side effects from Vanco? If so, what kind?

Thank you much in dvance

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Re: Vancomycin side effects?

Postby jds0870 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello Ismaila I had a sick stomach and loose stools the whole time with Vanco and for a while After. Vanco is so strong it takes a lot out of you. I hope you start to feel better.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:58 pm

I had no issue with Vanco on the first round. The second round I was on a taper for 3 months, had nausea but used "Sea Bands" on my wrist which did help.
Now, I am having bladder pain and I was on Vanco in January( I am 16 months post CDIFF) but had to go on Kelfex for a UTI and the GI added Vanco. We finally figured out it irritates the bladder and I am currently seeing a urologist.
I think the common side effect is nausea, try the Sea Bands if that is the issue.
Hope you feel better soon!

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:21 am

Thank you guys!

Staying hopeful and positive.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:30 am

Never had a problem with Vanco even at high doses.It was really easy to tolerate for me , although others complained about looser stools and minor stomach discomfort.Hope Vanco does the trick for u!!

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:57 am

Hi, Ismaila,

I also didn't have a problem with Vanco (the second time I took it my appetite was a little low but I think that was more from anxiety). But otherwise it was very easy to tolerate. Hope you do well with it and are c diff free very soon!

Blessings,
Nikki

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 pm

I had stomach ache unless I took it with food and then sometimes. Also looser stools and my hearing had some damage. It also made me feel very fatigued, but so did Xifaxan. The fatigue got better after a few days though. I also got the nausea, but that too, subsided after a few days.

momof327
New User

Postby momof327 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I tolerate it ok but with nausea here and there. Some days are bad and I have to take Promethazine. I have been getting headaches on a regular basis with it as well and just use Tylenol when needed. Does anyone else get headaches from it?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Have been on high doses of vanco many times without a problem.It enabled me to lead a normal - almost - life. Everyone is different, however. Contact your doc If you are having problems.

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:00 pm

So far I am tolerating Vanco much better than I did Flagyl. I have noticed my stools are looser than they've ever been, but I've also never taken an antibiotic of this caliber. I can't imagine on a good day, it would be good for one's system.

The only side effect I can speak of is extreme tiredness. So tired that my bones ache. But, I will take it 1000 times over how Flagy made me feel.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:07 am

When i switched from metronidazole to vanco it was like a night and day difference.On vanco i felt closer to normal : normal BM , no gas or cramps ,never felt tired but sometimes i had some gurgling.I hope vanco does the trick for you , it has a higher cure rate then Flagyl.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:31 am

Vanco made me very tired too as you describe, but it got better after a while, especially when I tapered down the doses.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:46 am

Vanco is non systemic usually so it goes directly to colon and comes out without going into bloodstream. I had soft mushy stools for months post Vanco so it is not unusual at all for this to happen. If you are already feeling better that is a wonderful sign. Hang in there, you will get well. Good luck.
CAROL

momof327
New User

Postby momof327 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm on my 3rd round of Vanco and tomorrow am going down to 125 x 4 a day. I'm hoping the headaches are alleviated by the lower dose. I seem to have no Bm for about 3 days then for 2 days it's intermittent m then formed. Just wondering if it's a good sign even though my 1st bm after 3 days is always m.? No D rearing it's ugly head so hoping that's a good indication. My only other issue that is bothersome (I'm not even sure if it's the vanco or part of cdiff) is I'm having a really hard time sleeping. The insomnia is starting to become a real issue affecting the majority of my night. Any advice? God Bless.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi momof
I don't think that the headeaches have anything to do with the vanco and the BM irregularities are normal during treatment and recovery , although during early recovery they are usually worse , at least for me.
I am having a really hard time sleeping too . Ever since this CDiff nightmare started i had insomnia and extreme anxiety.I went to psychiatrist last year and he prescribed me Remeron for sleeping it's a antidepressant,i was sleeping really well with it but i had to come off of it two months ago.Since i came off my insomnia returned, so i might go back to my psychiatrist to get something else to help me sleep.You could try some melatonin or Benadryl , they might help.

Return to “Treatments”